A truly market-value weighted commodity index
- 51 Downloads
Commodity indices play a central role in passive commodity investing. However, a closer look at commodity indices reveals huge differences in construction and weighting. For stock market indices on the other side, weighting is generally based on the market capitalization of an asset, according to the capital market theory. In contrast to this sound theoretical and practicable basis for stocks, there is a serious deficiency in commodity indexation. Therefore, in line with the classical capital market theory we present a novel approach to determine the “total investable amount” of commodities, which is the essential requirement for market capitalization based commodity indexation. In addition, we show a comprehensive model application: according to the proposed index weighting, energy allocation is significantly undervalued in existing index compositions, whereas metals and soft commodities are overvalued. Additionally, our results show that a market capitalization weighted commodity index offers very attractive risk-return characteristics for investors, compared to existing commodity indices.
Keywordscommodities CAPM indexation portfolio management commodity index
JEL ClassificationG10 G11 G15
This paper has already been presented—among others—at the following conferences: The 21 Annual Conference Multinational Finance Society (MFS), 2014, Prague, Czech Republic, the Annual Conference of the British Accounting & Finance Association (BAFA), 2016, Bath, England 2015. Furthermore, the authors would like to thank Martin Wallmeier, Stefan Stöckl, Sheraz Ahmed, as well as our anonymous referees for their valuable comments and suggestions.
- Amenc, N., Goltz, F. and Le Sourd, V. (2006) Assessing the Quality of Stock Market Indices. EDHEC Risk & Asset Management Research Centre Publication.Google Scholar
- Amenc, N., Goltz, F., Martellini, L. and Retkowsky, P. (2010) Efficient Indexation: An Alternative to Cap-Weighted Indices. EDHEC-Risk Institute Publication.Google Scholar
- Arnott, R.D., Kalesnik, V., Moghtader, P. and Scholl, C. (2010) Beyond cap-weight: the search for efficient beta. Journal of Indexes (January-February): 16–29.Google Scholar
- Broby, D. (2007) A Guide to Equity Index Construction. London: Risk Books.Google Scholar
- Damodaran, A. (2001) Corporate Finance: Theory and Practice. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Doyle, E., Hill, J., and Jack, I. (2007) Growth in Commodity Investment: Risks and Challenges for Commodity Market Participants. Financial Services Authority.Google Scholar
- FAOSTAT (2015) Methods & standards. http://faostat3.fao.org/mes/glossary/E, accessed on 08 August 2015, 13:00.
- Fisher, G.S., Shah, R., Titman, S. (2015) Decomposing Fundamental Indexation. Working paper.Google Scholar
- Goldman Sachs. (2015) S&P GSCI commodity index approach. http://www.goldmansachs.com/what-we-do/securities/products-and-business-groups/products/gsci/approach.html, accessed 15 June 2015.
- Hartwick, J.M. (1977) Intergenerational equity and the investing of rents from exhaustible resources. The American Economic Review 67(5): 972–974.Google Scholar
- Hsu, J.C. (2006) Cap-weighted portfolios are sub-optimal portfolios. Journal of Investment Management 4(3): 1–10.Google Scholar
- Lide, D.R. (ed.) (2005) CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Section 14, Geophysics, Astronomy, and Acoustics; Abundance of Elements in the Earth’s Crust and in the Sea. Boca Raton: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Metal Radar. (2013) London metal exchange – history and prices of LME copper. http://www.metalradar.com/copper-lme, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Rogers. (2015) The RICI. http://www.rogersrawmaterials.com/home.asp, accessed 15 June 2015.
- Solow, R.M. (1974) The economics of resources or the resources of economics. The American Economic Review 64(2): 1–14.Google Scholar
- Southard J. and Bond, B. (2003) Intelligent indices – the scientific approach to money management. Journal of Indices (Fourth Quarter).Google Scholar
- Thomson Reuters. (2013) Corecommodity CRB index calculation supplement. http://thomsonreuters.com/content/…/rulebook-crb-2013-08-22.pdf.