Israel’s country image in the 2016 Olympic Games
The purpose of this study was to analyze how Israel’s country image was projected through the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. With the first author being an accredited journalist, data were collected during the preparations of the Israeli delegation in Israel and during the 3 weeks of competitions in Brazil. We analyzed mixed-zones interviews, press conferences, and public speeches of eight key stakeholders with potential to influence Israel’s country image in the Olympic Games. We identified two main themes regarding Israel’s country image: (a) national identity and (b) sports and international politics. The findings make contributions on sports and country image research, on sports nation branding, and public diplomacy, as well as sports and national identity in Israel.
KeywordsIsrael Olympic games Country image Sports diplomacy Rio 2016
- Afek, U. 1992. Five Israeli Olympic rings. Tel-Aviv: Aviv-Kipnis [Hebrew].Google Scholar
- Afek, U. 2002. 30 years to the murders of the eleven in Munich. Jerusalem: Ministry of Education Publishing.Google Scholar
- Aharoni, O. 2017. For the Flag—Israeli sports fights for existence. Ynet. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.ynet.co.il/articlesnc/0,7340,L-4930109,00.html [Hebrew].
- Anholt, S. 2010. Places: Identity, image and reputation. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Belen, N. 2016. Olympic Houses take over Rio during the 2016 Olympics. Rio Times Online. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-entertainment/.
- Ben-Amos, A. 2003. War commemoration and the formation of Israel national identity. Journal of Political and Military Sociology 31: 171–195.Google Scholar
- Berliner, J. 2016. Olympics: Was Egyptian judoka punished for refusing to shake Israeli’s hand? CNN. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/16/sport/israel-egypt-judo-handshake/.
- Borowitz, Y. 2015. Rifat “Jimmy” Turk: “I will not stop my fight with Beitar, even if that will be the last thing I’ll do”. Haaretz. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.haaretz.co.il/sport/israel-soccer/beitar/1.2708533 [Hebrew].
- Calcalist Service. 2016. RideOn was selected as the start-up that will represent Israeli in Rio 2016 in the Olympic Games events. Calcalist. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.calcalist.co.il/sport/articles/0,7340,L-3688853,00.html [Hebrew].
- Creswell, J.W. 2013. Qualitative inquiry & research design. Los Angeles: Sage.Google Scholar
- Charmaz, K. 2015. Qualitative interviewing and grounded theory analysis. In Inside interviewing, new lessons, new concerns, ed. J.A. Holstein and J.F. Gubrium, 311–330. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Davidovich, S. 2016. Ira Vigdorchik: “I am very chauvinistic, a woman should not be equal to a man”. Ynet. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4751652,00.html [Hebrew].
- Forgrave, R. 2012, July 25. Munich widows still seeking silence. Fox Sports. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/.
- Galily, Y., R. Lidor, and A. Ben-Porat. 2009. The playing field: Sport in society in the early 21st century. Raanana: The Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Guttmann, A. 2002. The Olympics: A history of the modern Games, 2nd ed. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Harif, H. 2011. Zionism of Muscles: The political functions of representative sport in Eretz Israel ad in the state of Israel, 1898–1960. Jerusalem: Yad Izhak Ben-Zvi.Google Scholar
- Hassan, J., & Harness, T. 2016. 11 of the biggest political moments at the Rio Olympics. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.
- Hobsbawm, E.J. 1992. Nations and nationalism since 1780: Programme, myth, reality, 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hunt, E. 2016. Israel protests after Lebanese athletes refuse to share Olympic bus. The Guardian. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/08/olympics-israel-lebanese-athletes-refuse-share-bus.
- IPC historical results archive. 2017. All-time Paralympic Games medal standings. International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved from https://www.paralympic.org/results/historical.
- Jaffe, E., and I. Nebenzahl. 1993. Global promotion of country image: Do the Olympics count? In Product-country images: Impact and role in international marketing, ed. N. Papadopoulos and L. Heslop, 433–452. Binghamton, NY: International Business Press.Google Scholar
- Miller, S.G. 2004. Ancient Greek athletics. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Moraes, M. 2016. 2016 Olympics: Israel’s largest-ever delegation is ready for Rio. Times of Israel. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.timesofisrael.com/.
- Munayyer, Y. 2016. The politics behind the Olympic spirit. Al Jazeera. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/.
- National Olympic Committee of Israel. 2016. Summary of the digital activities of the National Olympic Committee of Israel [PowerPoint Slides]. Tel-Aviv, Israel: National Olympic Committee of Israel [Hebrew].Google Scholar
- Nye, J.S. 2004. Soft power: The means to success in world politics. New York: PublicAffairs.Google Scholar
- Omar, E. 2016. Exclusive: Egypt’s judoka denies he was sent home after Israeli handshake incident. Aharam Online. Retrieved from http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/.
- Rowe, W.E. 2014. Positionality. In The SAGE encyclopedia of action research, ed. D. Coghlan and M. Brydon-Miller, 628. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Saldaña, J. 2016. The coding manual for qualitative researchers, 3rd ed. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Senor, D., and S. Singer. 2009. Start-up nation: The story of Israel’s economic miracle. New York, NY: Twelve.Google Scholar
- Sinai, A. 2016. First official Olympic ceremony held in memory of Munich victims. The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Sports/.
- Staff Writer, Al Arabiya English. 2016. Israeli media ignores Saudi Judoka’s injury, insist withdrawal is political. Al Arabiya. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from https://english.alarabiya.net/.
- Talshir, U. 2011. Laws of boycotts: Tradition of boycotting Israelis in International Competitions Haaretz. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.haaretz.co.il/sport/1.1181659 [Hebrew].
- The Good Country (n.d.). The Good Country. Retrieved from https://goodcountry.org/.
- Wadhams, N. 2018. U.S. speeds up timetable for moving embassy to Jerusalem. Time. Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://time.com/5174043/us-embassy-jerusalem-may/.
- Yaman, H. 2011. The criticism of the People of the Book (ahl al-Kitab) in the Qu’ran: Essentialist or Contextual? Gregorianum 92: 183–198.Google Scholar
- Zanziper, N. 2016. The bus turmoil: The head of the Lebanese delegation was reprimanded by the IOC. YNET, Retrieved August 8, 2018 from http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4838194,00.html.