Deregulation, tax policy, and certainty: foundations of the U.S. recovery
This paper focuses on the impact that the change in direction of economic policy ushered in by the Trump administration has had on the performance of the U.S. economy. Since the 2016 election, economic activity and performance in the small business sector of the economy has soared to record levels as documented by the National Federation of Independent Business’s (NFIB) Small Business Economic Trends survey. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, deregulation, and certainty have been critical to energizing this important sector. NFIB’s data demonstrate the strong correlation between implementing pro-growth policies and job creation, investment, wage growth, and profits.
keywordsSmall business Economic policy Political economy
- American Action Forum. 2019. Regulation Rodeo. Available at https://www.regrodeo.com. Accessed March 7.
- Carey, Maeve P. 2016. Methods of Estimating the Total Cost of Federal Regulations. Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service.Google Scholar
- Caroll, Robert, and Gerald Prante. 2011. The Flow-Through Business Sector and Tax Reform. Washington, DC: Ernst & Young LLP.Google Scholar
- Congressional Budget Office. August 2018. The Long-Term Budget Outlook Under Alternative Scenarios for Fiscal Policy. Washington, DC: Congressional Budget Office.Google Scholar
- Crain, Mark W., and Nicole V. Crain. 2014. The Cost of Federal Regulation to the U.S. Economy, Manufacturing and Small Business: A Report for the National Association of Manufacturers. Washington, DC: National Association of Manufacturers.Google Scholar
- Crain, Nicole V., and W. Mark Crain. 2010. The Impact of Regulatory Costs on Small Firms. SBA Office of Advocacy contract number SBAHQ-08-M-0466. Washington, DC: U.S. Small Business Administration.Google Scholar
- Dotsey, Michael, Shigeru Fujita, and Leena Rudanko. 2017. Where Is Everybody? The Shrinking Labor Force Participation Rate. Economic Insights. Philadelphia: Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Hopkins, Thomas D. 1995. Profiles of Regulatory Costs: Report to the U.S. Small Business Administration. Washington, DC: U.S. Small Business Administration.Google Scholar
- National Federation of Independent Business. 2018. Small Business Introduction to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Part 1. Washington, DC: NFIB Research Center.Google Scholar
- Office of Management and Budget. 2015. 2015 Report to Congress on the Benefits and Costs of Federal Regulations and Agency Compliance with the Unfunded Mandates Reform Act. Washington, DC: Office of Management and Budget.Google Scholar
- Small Business Administration Office of Advocacy. 2018. Frequently Asked Questions About Small Business. Washington, DC: U.S. Small Business Administration.Google Scholar
- Tϋzemen, Didem. 2018. Why Are Prime-Age Men Vanishing from the Labor Force? Economic Review. Kansas City: Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.Google Scholar
- Wade, Holly. 2016. Small Business Problems & Priorities. Washington, DC: NFIB Research Foundation.Google Scholar