What is the role of distribution in revenue management? – Past and future
- 98 Downloads
In this article, we review the role of distribution in revenue management (RM) in the airline industry over the last 50 years, describing the evolution of these systems and providing evidence for their interdependence. With the omnipresence of the Internet, the proliferation of mobile communication devices and the growing trend of personalized retailing, the benefits of the distributor middleman are being questioned; airlines can access customers through their own websites and dynamically package best offers. In this fast changing environment, we discuss our vision for the future roles of RM and distribution.
Keywordsdistribution revenue management (RM) dynamic pricing (DP) computer reservation systems (CRS) global distribution systems (GDS) IATA new distribution capability (IATA NDC)
We would like to thank Barry Smith, former Chief Scientist at Sabre, and Bill Brunger, former Senior Vice President of Network RM and Distribution at Continental Airlines, for their constructive feedback.
- Brunger, W.G. (2008) The impact of the Internet on airline fares: Customer perspectives on the transition to Internet distribution. Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management 8 (2): 187–199.Google Scholar
- Fiig, T., Härdling, R., Pölt, S. and Hopperstad, C. (2014) Demand forecasting and measuring forecast accuracy in general fare structures. Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management 13 (6): 413–439.Google Scholar
- Hoyles, Y. (2014) IATA simplifying the business. New Distribution Capability (NDC). Facilitating Air Retailing, http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/airline-distribution/ndc/Documents/ndc-strategy-paper.pdf, accessed 6 January 2015.
- Isler, K. (2010) New revenue management techniques, dynamic pricing and distribution challenges. Presented at IATA Commercial Strategy Symposium, Istanbul.Google Scholar
- Isler, K. and D’Souza, E. (2008) GDS capabilities, OD control and dynamic pricing. Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management 8 (2): 255–266.Google Scholar
- Moritz, F.S. (2001) Consequences of E.U. airline deregulation in the context of the global aviation market. Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business 22 (1): 91–116.Google Scholar
- U.S. General Accounting Office (2003) Airline ticketing: Impact of changes in the airline ticket distribution industry. GAO-03-749.Google Scholar
- Wardell, D.J. (1991) Airline reservations systems, http://www.academia.edu/487385/Airline_Reservation_Systems, accessed 6 January 2015.