Pricing strategies and pricing capabilities
- First Online:
- 102 Downloads
This article explores the intersection of pricing strategies and pricing capabilities by summarizing four distinct streams of research. By doing so, it provides insights into the challenges involved in implementing value-based pricing strategies as well as the generic challenges of building pricing capabilities. It also outlines the strategic importance of pricing capabilities.
Keywordspricing strategies pricing capabilities value-based pricing capabilities resources
- Anderson, J.C. and Narus, J.A. (1998) Business marketing: Understand what customers value. Harvard Business Review 76 (6): 53–65.Google Scholar
- Besanko, D., Dranove, D., Shanley, M. and Schaefer, S. (2010) Economics of Strategy. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Dutta, S., Bergen, M., Levy, D. and Zbaracki, M.J. (2002) Pricing as a strategic capability. Sloan Management Review 43 (3): 61–66.Google Scholar
- Dyer, J.H. and Singh, H. (1998) The relational view: Cooperative strategy and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage. Academy of Management Review 23 (4): 660–679.Google Scholar
- Liozu, S., Boland, R., Hinterhuber, A. and Perelli, S. (2011) Industrial Pricing Orientation: The Organizational Transformation to Value-based Pricing. First International Conference on Engaged Management Scholarship, Case Western Reserve University. Social Science Research Network by Social Science Electronic Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, OH.Google Scholar
- Monroe, K.B. (1990) Pricing: Making Profitable Decisions. Burr Ridge, IL: McGraw-Hill Pub.Google Scholar
- Nagle, T.T. and Hogan, J.E. (2006) The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing: A Guide to Growing More Profitably. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. (1980) Competitive Strategy. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Ryall, M.D., Gans, J.S. and MacDonald, G. (2008) The two sides of competition and their implications for strategy. Unpublished manuscript, http://works.bepress.com/michael_ryall/15.
- Sodhi, M. and Sodhi, N. (2005) Six Sigma pricing. Harvard Business Review 83 (5): 135–142.Google Scholar
- Tirole, J. (1988) The Theory of Industrial Organization. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.Google Scholar