An exploration of causal factors in unintentional dwelling fires
- 44 Downloads
We examine the causal factors involved in unintentional dwelling fire incidents within the Merseyside area of the North West region of the United Kingdom. The approach of all-subsets multiple linear regression was used to develop an unintentional dwelling fire risk model for the region. The risk model was based on data obtained from UK government agencies relating to causal factors identified by earlier published studies. In the region studied, mental health problems, disability and residents living alone were the most significant factors associated with unintentional dwelling fire fatalities. However, in a separate model of the incidence of unintentional dwelling fires within the region, binge drinking and smoking were additional statistically significant factors.
Keywordsfire prevention risk modelling
- Accidental Dwelling Fire. (2010) Accidental dwelling fire records, http://gmacdata.agma.gov.uk/singlepoint/help/helpgmfrsdata.html.
- Ballard, J., Koepsell, T. and Rivara, F. (1992) Association of smoking and alcohol drinking with residential fire injuries. American Journal of Epidemiology 135 (1): 26–34.Google Scholar
- Communities and Local Government. (2008) Analysis of fire and rescue service performance and outcomes with reference to population socio-demographics. UK Department for Communities and Local Government. Fire Research Series 9/2008.Google Scholar
- Communities and Local Government. (2009) UK communities and local government, fire statistics monitor. 1 April 2008 to 31 March 2009, http://www.communities.gov.uk/fire/researchandstatistics/firestatistics/firestatisticsmonitors/.
- Crystal Reports. (2010) Crystal reports, http://www.crystalreports.com.
- Department of Work and Pensions. (2010) UK department of work and pensions, http://www.dwp.gov.uk.
- FSEC. (2004) Fire service emergency cover (FSEC) toolkit, http://www.communities.gov.uk/fire/runningfire/fireserviceemergency/.
- Home Fire Safety Check. (2010) Home fire safety check, London fire brigade, http://www.londonfire/gov.uk/homefiresafetyvisit.asp.
- Indices of Multiple Deprivation. (2010) Indices of multiple deprivation. UK Communities and Local Government, http://www.communities.gov.uk.
- Integrated Risk Management Planning. (2010) Integrated risk management planning, fire and resilience. UK Communities and Local Government, http://www.communities.gov.uk.
- MAPINFO. (2010) Mapinfo, pitney bowes, http://www.pbinsight.com.
- Merrall, S. (2001) GIS for spatial analysis of fire incidence: Identification of social, economic and environmental risk indicators. In: A. Hirschfield and K. Bowers (eds.) Mapping and Analysing Crime Data – Lessons from Research and Practice. London, UK: Taylor and Francis, pp. 156–183.Google Scholar
- MFRS. (2010) Merseyside fire and rescue authority integrated risk management plan 2007/10, http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/aspx/pages/IRMP/irmp.aspx.
- Newton, R. and Rudestam, K. (1999) Your Statistical Consultant. London UK: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Office for National Statistics. (2010) Neighbourhood statistics, UK office for national statistics, http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk.
- SA. (2010) Smoke alarm records, http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/aspx/pages/smoke_alarms/smoke_alarms.aspx.
- Shai, D. (2006) Income, housing and fire injuries: A census tract analysis. Public Health Reports 121 (2): 149–154.Google Scholar
- Statistical Package for the Social Sciences. (2010) Statistical package for the social sciences, http://www.spss.com.