An occupied state of mind: Clinical transference and countertransference across the Israeli/Palestinian divide
The authors, a Palestinian psychiatrist working in the West Bank and a Jewish American child psychiatrist in New York, report on varieties of problematic transference and countertransference phenomena observed among mental health clinicians and patients across the Israeli/Palestinian divide. Reciprocal transference and countertransference anxieties were asymmetrical, reflecting the broader power relationship between Israelis and Palestinians. The Israeli clinicians’ need to regulate and to silence Palestinian “aggression”—either real or presumed—interfered with empathy, trust, genuine dialogue, and learning. The authors suggest that, to account for these findings, the psychoanalytic model of collective trauma must be integrated with motivational models from other disciplines in order to capture the roles played by social forces such as political propaganda, the silencing of social dissent, and longstanding historical agendas of military and economic domination.
Keywordstransference countertransference Israel Palestine occupation Zionism
- Abraham, M. (2014) Out of Bounds: Academic Freedom and the Question of Palestine. New York and London: Bloomsbury Academic.Google Scholar
- Bob, Y.J. (2013) Israeli rights group accuses Shin Bet of using torture despite high court ban. Jerusalem Post, 6 January, http://www.jpost.com, accessed 1 December 1, 2014.
- Chomsky, N. (1999) The Fateful Triangle: The United States, Israel, and the Palestinians. Cambridge, MA: South End Press.Google Scholar
- Fanon, F. (2008) Black Skin, White Masks. Translated by R. Philcox. New York: Grove.Google Scholar
- Finkelstein, N. (2000) The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering. London: Verso Books.Google Scholar
- Kovel, J. (2007) Overcoming Zionism: Creating a Single Democratic State in Israel/Palestine. London: Pluto Press.Google Scholar
- Musleh, M. (2014) Lawyer for Jerusalem’s poor, tortured in Israeli prison, found hanged. Electronic Intifada, 8 May, http://electronicintifada.net/content/lawyer-jerusalems-poor-tortured-israeli-prison-found-hanged/13375, accessed 1 December 2014.
- Neumann, M. (2005) The Case Against Israel. Petrolia, CA: CounterPunch/AK Press.Google Scholar
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (2004) Istanbul Protocol: Manual on the Effective Investigation and Documentation of Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (Professional Training Series No.8/Rev.1). New York and Geneva: United Nations, http://www.ohchr.org/documents/publications/training8rev1en.pdf, accessed 1 December 2014.
- Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) (2014a) Current status of Palestinian detainees in Israeli prisons. Press release, Ramallah, Palestine, http://www.pcbs.gov.ps/Portals/_pcbs/PressRelease/Detainees_in_Israeli.pdf, accessed 1 December 2014.
- Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) (2014b) Main statistical indicators in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, http://www.pcbs.gov.ps/Portals/_Rainbow/StatInd/StatisticalMainIndicators_E.htm, accessed 1 December 2014.
- Palestinian National Authority Ministry of Health (2010) Palestinian National Health Strategy 2011-2013: Setting Direction—Getting Results. Ramallah, Palestine, http://www.lacs.ps/documentsShow.aspx?ATT_ID=4764, accessed 1 December 2014.
- Said, E. (1978) Orientalism. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Shavit, A. (2013) My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel. New York: Spiegel and Grau.Google Scholar
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) (2010) Palestinian Human Development Report, 2009/10: Investing in Human Security for a Future State, http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/nhdr_palestine_en_2009-10.pdf, accessed 1 December 2014.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) (2012) Arab development challenges report, 2011: Human deprivation under occupation, http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/corporate/HDR/UNDP-ADCR_En-2012.pdf, accessed 1 December 2014.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) (2013) Human development report, 2013: Palestine (state of), http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/Country-Profiles/PSE.pdf, accessed 1 December 2014.
- United Nations Trade and Development Board (2014, July) Report on UNCTAD assistance to the Palestinian people: Developments in the economy of the occupied Palestinian territory, http://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/tdb61d3_en.pdf, accessed 1 December 2014.