An exact algorithm for the petrol station replenishment problem
- 37 Downloads
In the petrol station replenishment problem (PSRP), the aim is to deliver petroleum products to petrol stations by means of an unlimited heterogeneous fleet of compartmented tank trucks. The problem consists of jointly determining quantities to deliver within a given interval, of allocating products to tank truck compartments and of designing delivery routes to stations. This article describes an exact algorithm which decomposes the PSRP into a truck loading problem and a routing problem. An algorithm which makes use of assignment, optimality tests and possibly standard ILP algorithm is proposed to solve the loading problem. The routing problem is handled using two different strategies, based either on a matching approach or on a column generation scheme. This algorithm was extensively tested on randomly generated data and on a real-life case arising in Eastern Quebec.
Keywordsreplenishment loading vehicle routing assignment matching column generation
This work was partially supported by the Canadian Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) under grants OGP0036509, OGP0039682 and OGP0172633. This support is gratefully acknowledged. Thanks are due to two referees for their valuable comments.
- ALK Technologies, Inc. (2001). PC*MILER User's Guide.Google Scholar
- Christofides N (1985). Vehicle routing. In: Lawler EL, Lenstra JK, Kan AHGR and Shmoys D (eds). The Traveling Salesman Problem. A Guided Tour of Combinatorial Optimization. Wiley: Chichester, pp. 431–448.Google Scholar
- Christofides N, Mingozzi A and Toth P (1979). Loading problems. In: Toth P, Christofides N and Sandi C (eds). Combinatorial Optimization. Wiley: Chichester, pp. 339–369.Google Scholar
- Malépart V, Boctor FF, Renaud J and Labilois S (2003). Nouvelles approches pour l'approvisionnement des stations d'essence. Rev Fr Gestion Ind 22: 15–31.Google Scholar
- Malépart V, Renaud J, and Boctor FF (1998). La distribution des produits pétroliers au Québec: État de la situation. Technical report, Université du Québec.Google Scholar
- MRNQ (2004). Prix de l'essence ordinaire par région administrative. Technical report, Ministère des ressources naturelles du Québec.Google Scholar
- Smith JC (2003). A genetic algorithm approach to solving a multiple inventory loading problem. Int J Ind Eng 10: 7–16.Google Scholar