VapeCons: E-cigarette user conventions
Introduction: E-cigarette ‘vaping conventions’ provide a venue for user social networking, parties, and ‘try before you buy’ access to a wide range of e-cigarette products. This study identifies and describes vaping conventions, raising awareness of this potentially problematic practice. Methods: Conventions were identified via Google searches in April and May 2014 and August 2015. Details captured included location, sponsors, admission cost, event features, and promotions. Results: 41 distinct organizations have planned 90 vaping conventions in 37 different locations since 2010. Conventions promoted access to a wide range of product vendors, seminars, social interactions with other users, parties, gifts, vaping contests, and other events. E-cigarette use at conventions was encouraged. Conclusions: Vaping conventions promote e-cigarette use and social norms without public health having a voice to educate attendees about negative consequences of use. Future research should focus on the effects of attending these conventions on attendees and on indoor air quality in vapor-filled convention rooms.
Keywordse-cigarette tobacco internet
- Herzog, B. (2015) Tobacco Talk: Independent Vapor Mfr. Survey. Wells Fargo Securities; 23 January 2015, New York.Google Scholar
- Herzog, B. and Gerberi, J. (2013) E-cigs revolutionizing the tobacco industry, http://www.smallcapfinancialwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/E-Cigs-Revolutionizing-the-Tobacco-Industry-Interactive-Model.pdf, accessed 8 April 2014.
- King, B., Patel, R., Nguyen, K. and Dube, S.R. (2014) Trends in awareness and use of electronic cigarettes among U.S. adults, 2010–2013. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 16 (9): 219–227.Google Scholar
- Pepper, J. and Brewer, N. (2013) Electronic nicotine delivery system (electronic cigarette) awareness, use, reactions and beliefs: A systematic review. Tobacco Control 0 (1–10).Google Scholar
- Zhu, S.-H. et al (2014) Four hundred and sixty brands of e-cigarettes and counting: Implications for product regulation. Tob Control 23(Suppl 3): iii3–9.Google Scholar
- VapeBash.com. (2014) http://www.vapebash.com, accessed 8 April 2014.
- Midwest Vapers Convention. (2014) http://www.midwestvapersconvention.com/, accessed 8 April 2014.Google Scholar
- Electronic Cigarette Convention Facebook Page. (2013) http://www.facebook.com/eccexpo, accessed 7 April 2014.
- Vapetoberfest: Contests. (2014) http://www.vapetoberfest.com/contests, accessed 8 April 2014.
- Livio, S.K. (2015) Health officials bust vendors, promoters at N.J. e-cigarette convention for indoor vaping, http://www.nj.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2015/07/local_health_department_busts_vendors_promoters_at.html, accessed 3 August 2015.
- Czogala, J., Goniewicz, M.L., Fidelus, B., Zielinska-Danch, W., Travers, M.J. and Sobczak, A. (2013) Secondhand exposure to vapors from electronic cigarettes. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 16 (6): 665–662.Google Scholar