China’s laws, rights, and administrative structures in occupational safety and health: A comparison with the United States
- 49 Downloads
China has achieved rapid economic development, but faces tremendous challenges in occupational safety and health (OSH). We describe China’s laws, rights, and administrative structures in OSH and in workers’ compensation. The article compares these with comparable laws, rights, and administrative structures in the United States. We hope this comparison may provide useful lessons for continued OSH development and improvement in China.
Keywordsoccupational safety occupational health policy administration workers’ compensation
We thank Catherine Elizabeth Walker, Consultant on Occupational Health and Safety, Environment, Workers’ Compensation, and Labor Relations, for invaluable assistance on this article.
- ILO Office for China and Mongolia. (2012a) National Profile Report on Occupational Safety and Health in China. Beijing, China: China Labour and Social Security Publishing House, p. 55.Google Scholar
- Congressional Research Service. (2014) China’s Economic Rise: History, Trends, Challenges, and Implications for the United States, http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL33534.pdf, accessed 9 April 2014.
- The World Bank. (2013a) China Overview, http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/China/overview, accessed 25 July 2013.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau, Foreign Trade Division. (2012) Top trading partners – Surplus, deficit, total trade, http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/top/, accessed 7 July 2012.
- Washington Post. (2010) China surpasses Japan as world’s No. 2 economy, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/15/AR2010081503697.html?hpid=topnews, accessed 25 February 2013.
- BRICS. (2012) BRICS Joint Statistical Publication 2012, http://www.bricsindia.in/publication/chapter4.pdf, accessed 22 March 2013.Google Scholar
- Alli, B.O. (2008) Fundamental Principles of Occupational Health and Safety. Geneva, Switzerland: International Labour Office.Google Scholar
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2007) National Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries in 2006, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/cfoi_08092007.pdf, accessed 25 November 2013.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2011) Nonfatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses Requiring Time Away from Work, 2011, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/osh2.nr0.htm, accessed 25 November 2013.
- DZWWW. (2011) Overcome the difficulties in occupational disease compensation by improving the rights protection mechanism, http://paper.dzwww.com/dzrb/content/20110304/ArticelA04002MT.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Chinese Government’s Official Web Portal. (2005a) State Administration of Work Safety, http://english.gov.cn/2005-10/20/content_80531.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Chinese Government’s Official Web Portal. (2005b) Main duties of the State Administration of Work Safety, http://english.gov.cn//2005-10/20/content_80534.htm, accessed 25 July2013.
- Chinese Government’s Official Web Portal. (2005c) Main duties of SACMS, http://english.gov.cn//2005-10/21/content_81285.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Chinese Government’s Official Web Portal. (2005d) Ministry of Health, http://english.gov.cn/2005-10/09/content_75326.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Chinese Government’s Official Web Portal. (2005e) Ministry of Labor and Social Security, http://www.gov.cn/english/2005-10/02/content_74185.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Chinese Government’s Official Web Portal. (2005f) The major responsibilities of MOLSS, http://www.gov.cn/english//2005-10/02/content_74187.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Wikipedia. (2013a) Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People’s Republic of China, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Housing_and_Urban-Rural_Development_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China, accessed 25 July 2013.
- MWR. (2013) About MWR, http://www.mwr.gov.cn/english/aboutmwr.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE OF THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA. (2013) Main functions of the Ministry of Agriculture, http://english.agri.gov.cn/aboutmoa/mandates/, accessed 25 July 2013.
- IP Channel. (2010) General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of the People’s Republic of China, http://ip.people.com.cn/GB/152255/10960449.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- The Ministry of Public Security of the People’s Republic of China. (2007) RESPONSIBILITIES AND STRUCTURE OF PUBLIC SECURITY AGENCIES IN CHINA, http://www.mps.gov.cn/English/, accessed 25 July 2013.
- People’s Daily Online. (2012) Ministry of Transport of the People’s Republic of China, http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/102759/205143/7908891.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Wikipedia. (2013b) Civil Aviation Administration of China, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Aviation_Administration_of_China, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Walsh, D.J. (2010) Employment Law for Human Resource Practice. Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- OSHA. (2013) About OSHA, http://www.osha.gov/about.html, accessed 25 July 2013.Google Scholar
- MSHA. (2013) What is the Mine Safety and Health Administration, http://www.msha.gov/faq/faqhome.htm, accessed 26 November 2013.
- CDC. (2013) About NIOSH, http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/about.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- NIOHP. (2012) Introduction, http://niohp.chinacdc.cn/jgxx/zwsjj/, accessed 25 July 2013.
- OSHRC. (2007) Guide to Review Commission Procedures Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission November 2007, http://www.oshrc.gov/publications/procedures.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- OSHRC. (2006) About OSHRC, http://www.oshrc.gov/about/how-oshrc.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Vincoli, J.W. (1997) Making Sense of OSHA Compliance. Rockville, MD: Government Institutes.Google Scholar
- ILO Office for China and Mongolia. (2012b) National Profile Report on Occupational Safety and Health in China, p. 1.Google Scholar
- People’s Daily. (1998) Management Method of Occupational Safety and Health Pre-Evaluation for Construction Projects, http://www.people.com.cn/item/flfgk/gwyfg/1998/L35901199749.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- The Central People’s Government of the People’s Republic of China. (2006) Construction Project Occupational Disease Hazards Classification Management Regulations, http://www.gov.cn/ziliao/flfg/2006-08/21/content_366646.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Zhang, Z. and Sun, Q. (2007) Analysis of laws, regulations and standards in area of occupational health. Journal of Safety Science and Technology 3 (4): 55–59.Google Scholar
- Wikipedia. (2013c) Occupational Safety and Health Act, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_Safety_and_Health_Act, accessed 25 July 2013.
- ILO. (2002) LAW OF THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ON WORK SAFETY, http://www.ilo.org/dyn/natlex/docs/ELECTRONIC/76096/108029/F924956495/CHN76096%20Eng2.pdf, accessed 25 July 2013.
- DOL. (2013) Occupational Safety and Health Laws in the United States, Mexico and Canada: An overview, http://www.dol.gov/ilab/media/reports/nao/oshreport2.htm#end131, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Qiao, Q. (2010) China Occupational Risk and Industrial Industry Protection – Evolution and Transformation. Beijing, China: The Commercial Press.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of the People’s Republic of China. (2007) The industrial injury insurance system in China, http://w1.mohrss.gov.cn/gb/ywzn/2007-12/14/content_214164.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Cao, C., Ma, Y. and Wen, D. (2010) On the principles of the recognition of works’ injury. Journal of Yanshan University (Philosophy and Social Science Edition) 11 (1): 91–95.Google Scholar
- Sun, S. and Zhu, L. (2009) Occupational injury insurance system of China: Development and changes in the last sixty years (1949–2009). Hebei Academic Journal 29 (6): 1–6.Google Scholar
- NFIB. (2011) State by State Comparison of Workers Compensation Laws, http://www.nfib.com/legal-center/compliance-resource-center/compliance-resource-item/cmsid/57181, accessed 25 July 2013.
- U.S. Social Security Administration Office of Policy. (2013) Recent Trends in Workers’ Compensation, http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v67n1/v67n1p17.html, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Wang, Y. (2011) Suggestions on perfecting our country’s industrial injury insurance coverage. China Urban Economy (27): 327–328.Google Scholar
- University of Iowa College of Law Center for International Finance and Development. (2011) Chinese labor and employment law, http://ebook.law.uiowa.edu/ebook/uicifd-ebook/what-are-relevant-issues-concerning-chinese-labor-and-employment-law, accessed 26 November 2013.Google Scholar
- People.com.cn. (2012) Annual Human Resources and Social Security Development Statistical Bulletin published, http://politics.people.com.cn/n/2013/0528/c1001-21641740-2.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- Leeth, J.D. (2012) OSHA’s Role in Promoting Occupational Safety and Health. Working Paper, No. 12–34. 13 November.Google Scholar
- Baidu. (2003) Regulation on Work-Related Injury Insurances, http://wenku.baidu.com/view/12bfcc6648d7c1c708a145de.html, accessed 25 July 2013.
- The Central People’s Government of the People’s Republic of China. (2012) First Conference on Sino-US Safety and Occupational Health Dialogue was held in Beijing, http://www.gov.cn/gzdt/2012-11/15/content_2266842.htm, accessed 25 July 2013.