Changing life jacket wearing behavior: An evaluation of two approaches
- 52 Downloads
In the United States during 1999–2012, about 4 per cent of adults wore life jackets while engaged in recreation on powerboats. Educational campaigns have promoted life jacket use. Mandatory use regulations target primarily children or boaters on personal watercrafts or water skiing. We describe findings from two interventions – ‘Wear It California!’, a targeted marketing campaign in the California Delta region and mandatory wear regulations at four US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) lakes in the state of Mississippi. Before the campaign in the Delta, adult wear was 8.5 per cent, increasing to 12.1 per cent during the first year, dipping to 9.4 per cent during the second year, and rising slightly to 10.5 per cent 3 plus years after the campaign. Before mandatory regulations at USACE lakes, adult wear was 13.7 per cent, increasing to 75.6 per cent during the first year, 70.1 per cent during the second year, and remaining high at 68.1 per cent in the third year. Policymakers should consider these findings when choosing how to increase life jacket use.
Keywordslife jackets educational promotions mandatory regulations PFD
This research was funded through grants from the Sports Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund, administered by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- United States Coast Guard. (2012) Accident statistics, http://www.uscgboating.org/statistics/accident_statistics.aspx, accessed 6 June 2012.
- Groff, P. and Ghadiali, J. (2003) Will it Float? Mandatory PFD Wear Legislation: A Background Research Paper. Toronto, ON: SMARTRISK.Google Scholar
- King, N.S. (2009) Drowning prevention in Sacramento waterways, http://www.usfa.fema.gov/pdf/efop/efo43051.pdf, accessed 11 February 2013.
- Seattle Children’s. (2013) Drowning prevention and water safety for all ages, http://www.seattlechildrens.org/classes-community/community-programs/drowning-prevention/, accessed 11 February 2013.
- North American Safe Boating Campaign – Wear It Campaign. (2013) Wear It showcase, http://www.safeboatingcampaign.com/showcase.htm, accessed 11 February 2013.
- Mangione, T.W., Imre, M., Chow, W., Lisinski, H.E. and King, N. (2012) 2011 life jacket wear rate observation study featuring national wear rate data from 1999 to 2011, http://www.uscgboating.org/statistics/pfd.aspx, accessed 20 September 2012.
- Department of Homeland Security. (2004) Wearing of personal flotation devices (PFDs) by certain children aboard recreational vessels. Federal Register 69 (146): 45589–45591.Google Scholar
- Zirulnick, A. (2010) Restricting boaters a hard sell in many states, http://national.news21.com/2010-2/boater-safety-restrictions-unpopular-in-states-ntsb/4/index.html, accessed 31 October 2013.
- Mangione, T.W., Chow, W., Lisinski, H.E., Imre, M. and King, N. (2012) Report to US Coast Guard: 2011 Evaluation of Army Corps of Engineers Mandatory Life Jacket Wear Regulations in Mississippi and California. Boston, MA: JSI Research & Training Institute.Google Scholar