Smoking habits in Italian pregnant women: Any changes after the ban?
A reduction in the prevalence of smoking and tobacco consumption was noted after the enactment in 2005 of new smoking regulations in Italy. To determine the impact of the smoking ban on pregnant women, we compared the results of two retrospective studies on two samples of 300 women, who recently delivered, conducted before and after the regulations went into effect. The comparison showed a marked drop in passive exposure to smoke in the workplace but not in the family environment; however, passive exposure and smoking were associated before and during pregnancy. Nearly all women agreed that the ban on smoking in public was reasonable and stated it had influenced their smoking habit or exposure. Despite this lip service, both studies highlighted that smoking in pregnancy remains a problem for many women, as about 10 per cent did not quit and over 50 per cent relapsed after delivery.
Keywordssmoking smoking ban pregnancy cessation relapse
- World Bank. (2003) Tobacco control at a glance, http://www1.worldbank.org/tobacco/pdf/AAG%20Tobacco%206-03.pdf, accessed 6 April 2009.
- Joossens, L. (2004) Effective tobacco control policies in 28 European countries. ENSP, http://www.ensp.org/files/effectivefinal2.pdf, accessed 6 April 2009.
- Istituto Nazionale di Statistica. (2006) Statistiche in breve. I fumatori in Italia: Dicembre 2004 – Marzo 2005 [Italian].Google Scholar
- Charrier, L., Serafini, P., Stroppiana, G. and Zotti, C.M. (2006) Smoking habits and smoking cessation in pregnancy: A study in Piedmont region. [Italian]. Annali di Igiene: Medicina Preventiva e di Comunita© (Ann Ig) 18: 407–415.Google Scholar
- Charrier, L., Serafini, P., Zanetti, M. and Zotti, C.M. (2008) Smoking habits in pregnant women after the ban: A study on a sample of puerperae in Piedmont region. [Italian]. Annali di Igiene: Medicina Preventiva e di Comunita© (Ann Ig) 20: 279–286.Google Scholar
- Doxa. (2005) Il fumo in Italia. Sintesi dei risultati. [Italian].Google Scholar