Motorcycle helmets and rider safety: A legislative crisis
Over the past four decades, motorcycle helmet laws within the United States have been in a state of flux and have been shaped by the conflicting influences of the federal government's initiatives to shape state policies and motorcycle advocates’ persistent lobbying efforts. Examination of individual state experiences with motorcycle helmet legislation demonstrates that universal motorcycle helmet laws effectively promote helmet use compliance, reduce morbidity and mortality in motorcycle crashes, and lower the health care costs and associated societal burdens of these crash victims. Motorcycle advocates have challenged the implementation of these laws and directly influenced the weakening or frank repeal of these laws to negative consequence. We offer this review as an educational resource to encourage and facilitate health care worker participation in legislative efforts to support implementation and maintenance of universal motorcycle helmet laws.
Keywordsmotorcycle helmet legislation fatality cost
- Shankar, U. and Varghese, C. (2006) Recent Trends in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes: An Update. National Center for Statistics and Analysis, p. 69 (updated 2006; cited 15 December 2007), Washington DC, http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2006/810606.pdf.Google Scholar
- Mohan, D. (2002) Road safety in less-motorized environments: Future concerns. International Journal of Experimental Pathology 31 (3): 527–532.Google Scholar
- NHTSA. (2007) US Department of Transportation Action Plan to Reduce Motorcycle Fatalities. NHTSA, (updated 2007; cited 18 May 2008), Washington DC, http://www.smsa.org/reports/4640-report4.pdf.
- Peden, M. et al (2004) Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. World Report on Road Traffic Injury Prevention (cited) www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/publications/road_traffic/world_report/summary_en_rev.pdf.
- Liu, B.C. et al (2008) Helmets for preventing injury in motorcycle riders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (1): CD004333.Google Scholar
- Proscia, N. et al (2002) The effects of motorcycle helmet use between hospitals in states with and without a mandatory helmet law. Connecticut Medicine 66 (4): 195–198.Google Scholar
- Panichaphongse, V., Watanakajorn, T. and Kasantikul, V. (1995) Effects of law promulgation for compulsory use of protective helmets on death following motorcycle accidents. Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand 78 (10): 521–525.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, B.A., Max, W. and Miller, T.R. (2003) Costs of Injuries Resulting from Motorcycle Crashes: A Literature Review. Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, NHTSA, p.106.Google Scholar
- Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) database. (2008) (database on the Internet) (cited 2008), http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov.
- NHTSA. (2006) Traffic Safety Facts 2006 Data: Motorcycles. National Center for Statistics and Analysis, (updated 2006; cited 14 December 2008), Washington DC, http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/nhtsa_static_file_downloader.jsp?file=/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic%20Injury%20Control/Articles/Associated%20Files/TSF2006_810806.pdf.
- ABATE. (1972) Membership in 44 states have started working toward our freedom of the road. Easyrider Magazine, (updated 1972; cited 26 September 2008), http://www.highcountryabatesc.org/ABATE_easyrider.htm.Google Scholar
- American Motorcycle Association. (2008) The History of the AMA. American Motorcycle Association, (updated 2008; cited 27 September 2008), Pickerington, OH, http://www.amadirectlink.com/whatis/history.asp.
- IIHS. (2008) Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: History of US motorcycle laws and changes in coverage. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, (updated 2008; cited 10 May 2008), Arlington, VA, http://www.iihs.org/laws/helmet_history.html.
- Ulmer, R.G. and Preusser, D.F. (2003) Evaluation of the Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Laws in Kentucky and Louisiana: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Records OoRaT. Report No.: DOT HS 809 530.Google Scholar
- US GAO. (1991) Motorcycle Helmet Laws Save Lives and Reduce Costs to Society. Washington DC: Government Accounting Office.Google Scholar
- NHTSA. (2008) Traffic Safety Facts-Motorcycle Helmet Use Laws. Washington, DC: NHTSA, (updated 2008; cited 10 May 2008), http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Communication%20&%20Consumer%20Information/Articles/Associated%20Files/810887.pdf.
- Turner, P. and Hagelin, C. (2004) Florida Motorcycle Helmet Use Observational Survey and Trend Analysis Tampa. Florida: Center for Urban Transportation Research, University of South Florida, Report No.: BC 353 RPWO No. 36.Google Scholar
- NHTSA. (1998) Further Analysis of Motorcycle Helmet Effectiveness Using CODES Linked Data. Washington, DC: US Department of Transportation.Google Scholar
- Preusser, D.F., Hedlund, J.H. and Ulmer, R.G (2000) Evaluation of motorcycle helmet law repeal in Arkansas and Texas (updated 2000; cited 15 December 2007), http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/EvalofMotor.pdf.
- Christian, W.J., Carroll, M., Meyer, K., Vitaz, T.W. and Franklin, G.A. (2003) Motorcycle helmets and head injuries in Kentucky, 1995–2000. The Journal of the Kentucky Medical Association 101 (1): 21–26.Google Scholar
- Ulmer, R.G. and Northrup, V.S. (2005) Evaluation of the Repeal of the All-Rider Motorcycle Helmet Law in Florida. Final Report, p. 56.Google Scholar
- NHTSA. (2008) Evaluation of the Reinstatement of the Motorcycle Helmet Law in Louisiana. NHSTA, (updated 2008; cited 29 December 2008), Washington DC, http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Communication%20&%20Consumer%20Information/Traffic%20Tech%20Publications/Associated%20Files/tt346.pdf.
- Karlson, T.A. and Quade, C.A. (1994) Head injuries associated with motorcycle use – Wisconsin, 1991. MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 43 (23): 29–31, 423.Google Scholar
- Wilker, B. and Bailey, K. (2008) Dying for Coverage in Wisconsin. Washington DC: Families USA.Google Scholar
- Welch, W. (2006) Cycle sales powered by pricey gas. (updated 6 May 2006; cited 19 May 2008), http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-06-05-cycle-gas_x.htm.
- Mayhew, D.R. and Simpson, H.M. (2002) The safety value of driver education and training. Injury Prevention 8 (Supp 2): ii3–ii8.Google Scholar