Automatic aircraft cargo load planning
- 30 Downloads
The goal of this paper is the development of a new mixed integer linear program designed for optimally loading a set of containers and pallets into a compartmentalised cargo aircraft. It is based on real-world problems submitted by a professional partner. This model takes into account strict technical and safety constraints. In addition to the standard goal of optimally positioning the centre of gravity, we also propose a new approach based on the moment of inertia. This double goal implies an increase in aircraft efficiency and a decrease in fuel consumption. Cargo loading generally remains a manual, or at best a computer-assisted, and time-consuming task. A fully automatic software was developed to quickly compute optimal solutions. Experimental results show that our approach achieves better solutions than manual planning, within only a few seconds.
Keywordsmixed integer programming cargo aircraft unit load devices weight and balance moment of inertia fuel economy
- Chan FTS and Kumar N (2006). A new heuristic embedded approach for multi-constraint air-cargo loading problem. Proceedings of the 4th International IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics. IEEE: Singapore, pp 1165–1170.Google Scholar
- Fok K and Chun A (2004). Optimizing air cargo load planning and analysis. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing, Communications and Control Technologies. ICCC: Austin, TX.Google Scholar
- IATA [International Air Transport Association] (2010). Cargo e-Chartbook. Quarterly Report. http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/Documents/economics/eChartbook-Q4-2010.pdf.
- ICAO [International Civil Aviation Organization] (2009). Annual Report of the Council. Doc 9921. http://www.icao.int/icaonet/dcs/9921/9921_en.pdf.
- Ng KYK (1992). A multicriteria optimization approach to aircraft loading. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems 39: 140–150.Google Scholar
- Sabre Airline Solutions (2007). Load planning: A discussion of fuel cost containment relevant to load planning. White paper, http://www.sabreairlinesolutions.com.
- Souffriau W, Demeester P, Vanden Berghe G and De Causmaecker P (2008). The aircraft weight and balance problem. Proceedings of ORBEL 22. SOGESCI: Brussels, pp 44–45.Google Scholar
- Tang C-H and Chang H-W (2010). Optimization of stochastic cargo container loading plans for air express delivery. IEEE Second International Conference on Computer and Network Technology. IEEE: Bangkok, pp 416–420.Google Scholar