A profile of OR research and practice published in the Journal of the Operational Research Society
- First Online:
- 22 Downloads
In this paper we reflect on the last 10 years of the Journal of the Operational Research Society (JORS). We use metadata and citation analysis to profile OR research and practice published in this prestigious journal. The analysis of the published material includes examining variables such as the most productive authors, the papers having the highest number of citations, the universities and organisations associated with the most publications and their geographic diversity, OR techniques and their application areas, the number of authors per paper, the background of the authors, etc. Moreover, this work includes variables from a previously published study of JORS that profiled research from 1981 to 1999. Therefore, the analysis allows a comparison to be conducted between some of the findings of the two studies. This research has implications for researchers, journal editors and research institutions.
KeywordsOR research practice of OR research profile productive authors research paradigm
- Association of Business Schools (2009). Academic journal quality guide (version 3). In: Kelly A, Morris H, Rowlinson M and Harvey C (eds). Available online: http://www.the-abs.org.uk/files//abs_web_subject.pdf. Last accessed 28 June 2009.
- Clarke R (2008a). An exploratory study of Information Systems researcher impact . Commun Assoc Inform Syst 22(1): 1–32.Google Scholar
- Clarke R (2008b). A citation analysis of Australian information systems researchers: Towards a new era . Commun Assoc Inform Syst 15(2): 35–56.Google Scholar
- Claver E, Gonzalez R and Llopis J (2000). An analysis of research in information systems (1981–1997) . Inform Mngt 37(4): 181–195.Google Scholar
- Dwivedi YK, Kiang M, Lal B and Williams MD (2008). Profiling research published in the journal of electronic commerce research . J Electron Comm Res 9(2): 77–91.Google Scholar
- EPSRC (2004). Review of Research Status of Operational Research in the UK. Swindon, UK: Engineering and Physical Science Research Council/Economic and Social Research Council. Available online: http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/CMSWeb/Downloads/Other/OpResReview.pdf. Last accessed 3 July, 2009.
- Jacso P (2005). As we may search—Comparison of major features of the Web of Science, Scopus, and Google Scholar citation-based and citation-enhanced databases . Curr Sci 89: 1537–1547.Google Scholar
- Palvia P, Pinjani P and Sibley EH (2007). A profile of information systems research published in Information & Management . Inform Mngt 44(1): 1–11.Google Scholar
- Williams TM (2008). Management Science in Practice . Wiley: Chichester, UK.Google Scholar