Turning robotic process automation into commercial success – Case OpusCapita
- 1.4k Downloads
OpusCapita Group is a Finnish company offering financial processes and outsourcing services to medium-sized companies and large corporations. OpusCapita particularly focuses on comprehensive Purchase-to-Pay and Order-to-Cash processes. In hopes to stay ahead of the curve in financial process automation, OpusCapita is betting on Robotic Process Automation (RPA). This teaching case presents challenges faced by Mr. Petri Karjalainen, Senior Vice President at OpusCapita Group, who is looking for ways to introduce RPA to the market, and provide added value to new and existing customers.
Keywordsrobotic process automation outsourcing business model financial administration strategy teaching case
- Frey, C. and Osborne, M. (2013) The Future of Employment: How susceptible are jobs to computerisation?, Working Paper, pp. 1–72.Google Scholar
- Fung, H.P. (2014). Criteria, Use Cases and Effects of Information Technology Process Automation (ITPA), Advances in Robotic and Automation 3(3): 1–11.Google Scholar
- Institute for Robotic Process Automation (2015) Introduction To Robotic Process Automation. Institute for Robotic Process Automation. Report by IRPA. [WWW document] http://www.irpanetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Robotic-Process-Automation-June2015.pdf (accessed 20 August 2015).
- Lacity, M. and Willcocks, L. (2015). What Knowledge Workers Stand to Gain from Automation, Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2015/06/what-knowledge-workers-stand-to-gain-from-automation (accessed 20 August 2015).
- Lacity, M. and Willcocks, L. (2016). Robotic Process Automation at Telefónica O2, MIS Quarterly Executive 15(1): 21–35.Google Scholar
- OpusCapita Group (2015b). Robotic process automation: Farewell to the remaining manual routines!, OpusCapita Newsletter [WWW document] http://www.opuscapita.com/blog-and-newsletter/newsletter/2015/robotic-process-automation-farewell-to-the-remaining-manual-routines! (accessed 7 September 2015).
- Posti Group (2014). OpusCapita Annual Review [WWW document] http://www.opuscapita.com/media/141315/opuscapita2014_en_final.pdf (accessed 31 August 2015).
- Prangnell, N. and Wright, D. (2015). The robots are coming, A Deloitte insight report [WWW document] http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/finance/deloitte-uk-finance-robots-are-coming.pdf (accessed 31 August 2015).
- Slaby, J. (2012). Robotic Automation Emerges As a Threat to Traditional Low-Cost Outsourcing, HfS Research 1–18 [WWW document] https://www.hfsresearch.com/report/robotic-automation-emerges-threat-traditional-low-cost-outsourcing (accessed 20 August 2015).
- Willcocks, L., Lacity, M. and Craig, A. (2015). Robotic Process Automation at Xchanging. The Outsourcing Unit Working Paper Series (June): 1–26.Google Scholar
Recommended Additional Reading
- Brynjolfsson, E. and McAfee, A. (2014). The Second Machine Age: Work, progress, and prosperity in a time of brilliant technologies. WW Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- Carr, N. (2014). The Glass Cage: Automation and us. WW Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- Chui, M., Manyika, J. and Miremadi, M. (2015). Four fundamentals of workplace automation. McKinsey Quarterly, November. [WWW document] http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/business-technology/our-insights/four-fundamentals-of-workplace-automation (accessed 7 April 2016).
- Etzioni, O. (1996). Moving Up the Information Food Chain: Deploying Softbot on the World Wide Web, Proceedings of the 13th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-96), 4–8.Google Scholar
- Frey, C. and Osborne, M. (2015). Technology at Work. The future of innovation and employment, Citi GPS: Global Perspectives & Solutions.Google Scholar
- Institute for Robotic Process Automation (2015). Introduction To Robotic Process Automation.Google Scholar
- Lacity, M. and Willcocks, L. (2015). Robotic Process Automation: The Next Transformation Lever for Shared Services. The Outsourcing Unit Working Paper Series (July): 1–35.Google Scholar
- Prangnell, N. and Wright, D. (2015). The robots are coming, A deloitte insight report. [WWW document] http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/finance/deloitte-uk-finance-robots-are-coming.pdf (accessed 31 August 2015).
- Salovaara, A., Lyytinen, K. and Penttinen, E. (2015). Flexibility vs. Structure: How to Manage Reliably Continiuously Emerging Threats in Malware Protection, Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Hawaii, 5–8 January.Google Scholar
- Willcocks, L. and Lacity, M. (2016). Service Automation: Robots and the future of work, UK: Steve Brookes Publishing.Google Scholar
- Willcocks, L.P., Lacity, M. and Craig, A. (2015). The IT Function and Robotic Process Automation. The Outsourcing Unit Working Paper Series (May): 1–39.Google Scholar