The Eurasian union: actor in the making?
- 193 Downloads
Recent studies on regionalism tend to view regions and regional organisations as distinct actors in global affairs. This paper seeks to contribute to these discussions of regions’ actorship capabilities by exploring the regionalisation process among post-Soviet states driven by the Eurasian regionalism project. The progress in regional integration among post-Soviet states, including the establishment of the Eurasian Economic Union among Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia with the Eurasian Economic Commission as its supranational body, and the developments within the Collective Security Treaty Organisation, provides rich empirical data for the approaches in contemporary regionalism studies to assess whether or not we are witnessing the emergence of a region with actorship capabilities.
Keywordsactorship capability Eurasian Union new regionalism approach single economic space
The authors acknowledge gratefully the Central European University Summer School programme Comparative Regionalisms: Changing Forms of Governance in Asia, Africa and the Americas and the Effects on the World Order — 2012 and the UNU CRIS — CISS conference Cooperation, Integration and Alliances: Regional and Global Perspectives, Challenges and Solutions, 19–21 June, 2013, which provided wonderful opportunity to meet experts in the field and receive comments on this paper. Special thanks to Dr. Andrew Grant from Queen’s University, Dr. Mikhail Molchanov from St Thomas University, Dr. Galym Zhussipbek from Suleyman Demirel University, Almaty, and Dr. Alex Grigorescu from Loyola University, Chicago, for careful reading and providing valuable feedback on the drafts of this article. The scholarships by the Centre of International Programmes — ‘Bolashak’ and the Malaysian Ministry of Education helped to concentrate efforts on research and to write this article. The authors also appreciate the insightful comments provided by three anonymous reviewers at JIRD and the help of Rosemi Mederos and Jon Harrison in editing the article.
- Acharya, Amitav (2009) Constructing a Security Community in Southeast Asia: Asean And the Problem of Regional Order, Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Akhmatova, Zarina (2012) ‘I ne mechtaite [Don’t Even Dream]’, Vremya, 19 September, http://www.time.kz/ (accessed 8 January, 2013).
- Bretherton, Charlotte and John Vogler (2006) The European Union As a Global Actor, Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dinesen, Ruxandra Lupu and Anders Wivel (2014) ‘Georgia and Moldova: Caught in the Outskirts of Europe?’ in Clive Archer, Alyson J. K. Bailes and Anders Wivel eds, Small States and International Security: Europe and Beyond, 149–66, Abingdon: Taylor & Francis.Google Scholar
- Doidge, Mathew (2008) ‘Regional Organizations as Actors in International Relations: Interregionalism and Asymmetric Dialogues’, in Jürgen Rüland ed., Asian-European Relations: Building Blocks for Global Governance?, 32–54, Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dunn, Kevin C. (2004) ‘Historical Representations’, in Patricia Goff and Kevin C. Dunn eds, Identity and Global Politics: Theoretical and Empirical Elaborations, 78–92, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Emerson, Michael (2014a) After the Vilnius Fiasco: Who is to Blame? What is to Be Done?’ CEPS Essays Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- Gearan, Anne (2013) ‘Sour U.S.-Russia Relations Threaten Obama’s Foreign Policy Agenda’, The Washington Post 14 January, http://www.washingtonpost.com.
- Gower, Ross St Clair (2014) ‘The Rise and Fall of Russian Treaty Activism in the Post-Soviet Space’, Public Policy Research Paper, Graz: Russian East European Eurasian Centre, University of Graz.Google Scholar
- Grant, J. Andrew and Fredrik Söderbaum (2003) The New Regionalism in Africa, Aldershot: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Hettne, Björn (2011) ‘EU as an Emerging Global Actor’, in Jens-Uwe Wunderlich and David J. Bailey eds, The European Union and Global Governance — A Handbook, 28–35, London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hettne, Björn and Fredrik Söderbaum (2008) ‘The Future of Regionalism: Old Divides, New Frontiers’, in Andrew Fenton Cooper, Christopher W. Hughes and Philippe De Lombaerde eds, Regionalization and Global Governance: The Taming of Globalization?, 61–80, London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hettne, Björn, Fredrik Söderbaum and Patrick Stalgren (2008) The EU as a Global Actor in the South, Stockholm: Swedish Institute for European Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- Kazakhstanskaya Pravda (2004) ‘Regionalnaia integratsia i evraziistvo. Vistuplenie Nazarbayeva v Evraziiskom natsionalnom universitete’ [Regional integration and Eurasianism. Speech of Nazarbayev at Eurasian National University] 2 April, http://www.kazpravda.kz/c/1096384084 (accessed 20 February, 2013).
- Kucera, Joshua (2011) ‘Russia Wants To Call Shots On CSTO Members’ Foreign Policy’ 4 November, http://www.eurasianet.org/ (accessed 2 May, 2013).
- Langenhove, Luk van (2011) Building Regions: The Regionalization of the World Order, Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Lo, Bobo (2009) Axis of Convenience: Moscow, Beijing, and the New Geopolitics, Baltimore: Brookings Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Malek, Martin (2013) ‘The South Caucasus at the Crossroads: Ethno-territorial Conflicts, Russian Interests, and the Access to Energy Resources’, in Gunther Hauser and Franz Kernic eds, European Security in Transition, 145–60, Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Limited.Google Scholar
- Manners, Ian (2002) ‘Normative Power Europe: A Contradiction in Terms?’ JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies 40(2): 235–58.Google Scholar
- Naryshkin Calls for Establishment of Eurasian Parliament (2012) RIA Novosti 25 April, http://en.rian.ru/russia/20120425/173043817.html (accessed 7 February, 2013).
- Neumann, Iver B. (2004) ‘Discourse Analysis’, in Patricia Goff and Kevin C. Dunn eds, Identity and Global Politics: Theoretical and Empirical Elaborations, 61–77, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- No need to hurry with Eurasian parliament, Lukashenko says (2012) BelTA 11 December, http://news.belta.by/en/news/president?id=701433 (accessed 7 February, 2013).
- Press Service of Russian Government (2011) ‘Izvestia publishes an article by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on cooperation and interaction in the post-Soviet space’, http://archive.government.ru/eng/docs/16622/print/ (accessed 25 January, 2013).
- Qoraboyev, Ikboljon (2010) ‘From Central Asian Regional Integration to Eurasian Integration Space? The Changing Dynamics of Post-Soviet Regionalism’, Eurasian Integration Yearbook 2010: 206–32.Google Scholar
- Reiting Research Center (2012) ‘Reiting mejdunarodnyh i mejgosudarstvennyh organizatsii s uchastiem Kazakhstana [Ranking of International Organisations in which Kazakhstan is a member]’, http://agencyrating.kz/rating-organizaciy/ (accessed 9 December, 2012).
- Shuvalov, Yuri (2012) ‘Ne sovsem pravilno stavit ekonomicheski aspect evraziiskoi integratsii na pervoe mesto’, Confederation of Social Forces for Eurasian Integration 4 July, http://eurasian-integration.org/?q=comment/1613 (accessed 2 November, 2012).
- Slocum, Nikki and Luk Van Langenhove (2003) ‘The Meaning of Regional Integration:Introducing Positioning Theory in Regional Integration Studies’, UNU-CRIS e-Working Papers.Google Scholar
- Stadtmúller, Elzbieta (2005) ‘Regional Dimensions of Security’, in Mary Farrell, Björn Hettne and Luk van Langenhove eds, Global Politics of Regionalism: Theory and Practice, 104–19, London: Pluto Press.Google Scholar
- Treaty of Lisbon (2007) ‘Treaty of Lisbon amending the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Community’, Official Journal of the European Union 50(C 306): 1–146.Google Scholar
- Ukraine Interfax (2014) ‘Ukrainian Foreign Ministry disappointed in CIS’, Interfax 29 April.Google Scholar
- Vasilyevna, Vasilina (2007) ‘Voznya NATO na postsovetskom prostranstve nastorajivaet’, Moskovskie Novosti 17 May, http://www.mn.ru/issue.php?2007-19-4 (accessed 2 October, 2012).
- Wunderlich, Jens-Uwe (2012) ‘The EU an Actor Sui Generis? A Comparison of EU and ASEAN Actorness’, JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies 50(4): 653–69.Google Scholar