Evaluating the performance of hedge funds using two-stage peer group benchmarks
- 32 Downloads
This article proposes a two-stage peer group benchmarking approach to evaluate the performance of hedge funds. We present different ways of orthogonalizing the peer group benchmarks and discuss their general properties. We then orthogonalize the relevant benchmarks against predetermined exogenous factors. For a broad dataset we show that this approach captures much more commonalities in hedge funds returns when compared with the standard methodology of using exogenous factors only. As a consequence, the empirical rankings of hedge funds, on the basis of alphas, change considerably. Therefore, the proposed two-stage peer group benchmark allows us to identify which hedge fund managers outperformed their cohorts.
Keywordshedge funds performance measurement factor models peer group benchmarks
- Amin, G.S. and Kat, H.M. (2001) Welcome to the dark side – Hedge fund attrition and survivorship bias over the period 1994–2001. ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance, Henley Business School. Reading. University of Reading.Google Scholar
- Blake, D. and Timmermann, A. (2001) Performance benchmarks for institutional investors: Measuring, monitoring and modifying investor behaviour. Discussion Paper PI-0106, The Pensions Institute. University of London. London.Google Scholar
- Brown, A. (2013) Hedge fund industry grows to record size amid new investments. IR Magazine 22 April, http://www.insideinvestorrelations.com/articles/buy-side/19439/hedge-fund-industry-grows-record-size-amid-new-investments/, accessed 2 November 2014.
- Capocci, D. (2001) An Analysis of Hedge Fund Performance 1984–2000. Working Paper, University of Liege. Liege.Google Scholar
- Elton, E.J., Gruber, M.J. and Blake, C.R. (1997) Common Factors in Active and Passive Portfolios. Working Paper, Fordham University’s Graduate School of Business Administration. New York.Google Scholar
- Gregoriou, G. and Rouah, R. (2002) Is size a factor in hedge funds performance? Derivatives Use, Trading and Regulation 7 (4): 301–306.Google Scholar
- Mader, W. (2008) Hedge funds: Alternative investment strategies and portfolio models. Dissertation, Universität Augsburg. Augsburg.Google Scholar
- Schneeweis, T., Kazemi, H. and Martin, G. (2001) Understanding Hedge Fund Performance: Research Results and Rules of Thumb for the Institutional Investor. Center for International Securities and Derivatives Markets (CISDM) and Lehman Brothers, New York and London.Google Scholar
- The New York Times (2011) Times topics: John Paulson, http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/john_paulson/index.html, accessed 12 October 2011.