Does Female Representation on Boards of Directors Associate with the ‘Most Ethical Companies’ List?
- 49 Downloads
This study examines the association between the number of women directors on a company's board of directors and the company's appearance on Ethisphere Magazine's ‘World's Most Ethical Companies’ list. This research extends the work of Bernardi et al. (2002) on female directors in Fortune 500 companies and Bernardi et al. (2006) dealing with the association between female representation on corporate boards of directors and Fortune's 100 ‘Best Companies’ list. We found that having a higher percentage of women on the board of directors of a Fortune's 500 company associated with the corporation being listed on Ethisphere Magazine's ‘World's Most Ethical Companies’ list.
Keywordsboards of directors ethics women in management
- Bernardi, R.A., Bosco, S.M. and Reis, K.M. (2004) ‘Leadership in the Fortune 500: Women at the executive level of corporate management’, Journal of Business & Economics Research, 2 (12), 1–10.Google Scholar
- Bose, C.E. and Whaley, R.B. (2001) ‘Sex segregation in the U.S. labor force’, in D. Vannoy (ed.), Gender Mosaics: Social Perspectives (Original Readings), Roxbury Publishing, Los Angeles, CA, pp. 228–248.Google Scholar
- Catalyst (2008, 2007) ‘Alliance for board diversity’, retrieved 24 April, www.catalystwomen.org.
- Donaldson, W.H. (2003) ‘Corporate governance’, Business Economics, 38 (3), 16–20.Google Scholar
- Ethisphere Magazine (2008) ‘2007 world's most ethical companies’, retrieved 14 April, www.ethisphere.com/2007-worlds-most-ethical-companies/.
- Fortune (2007) Fortune 1000, Arnold Bernhard & Co., New York.Google Scholar
- Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) (2003) retrieved 26 February, 2009 from www.hesa.ac.uk.
- Hymowitz, C. (2003) ‘How to be a good director’, Wall Street Journal, 27 October, pp. R1, R4.Google Scholar
- Konrad, A. and Kramer, V.W. (2006) ‘How many women do boards need?’, retrieved 25 February, 2008, http://www.wcwonline.org/pubs/title.php?id=487.Google Scholar
- Professional Business Women's Association (2008) ‘Professional business women's association’, retrieved 24 April, www.pbwa.org.
- Rice, E. (1994) ‘How to make diversity pay’, Fortune, 8 August.Google Scholar
- Sellers, P. (2007) ‘The Power 50’, Fortune Magazine, 156 (8), 77–86.Google Scholar
- Sills, J. (2007) ‘Catfight in the boardroom’, Psychology Today, 40 (1), 61–62.Google Scholar
- Stephenson, C. (2004) ‘Leveraging diversity to maximum advantage: The business case for appointing more women to boards’, Ivey Business Journal Online, Sept/Oct, p. A1.Google Scholar
- US Congress (2002) ‘Sarbanes–Oxley Act (HR 3763)’, www.news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/gwbush/.
- Weber, G. (2004) ‘A higher calling’, Workforce Management, 83 (1), 47–50.Google Scholar
- Women in Finance Association (2008) ‘So what is WIF all about?’, retrieved 24 April, www.womeninfinance.com.Au/about/index.html.