De-internationalizing Global Banking?
- 14 Downloads
This article discusses two models of global banking, the multinational model and the international model. The global financial crisis demonstrated the greater resilience of the multinational model to strains in the wholesale funding markets. This article reviews long-term trend in global banking toward multinational banking and how the global financial crisis reinforced this trend. In addition, this article discusses regulatory and supervisory changes since the crisis that require liquidity to be held in particular jurisdictions, and affiliates to be operating subsidiaries rather than branches. Regulators in major jurisdictions are showing welcome resistance to the natural temptation to tilt the scale toward multinational banking.
KeywordsGlobal banks multinational banking bank regulation subsidiarization liquidity regulation
JEL ClassificationsF23 F3 G21 K23
The author thanks Bill Coen, Ben Cohen, Pat McGuire and Goetz von Peter for discussion. Views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Bank for International Settlements.
- Aliber, R . 1993: The multinational paradigm. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Avdjiev, S, McCauley, R and McGuire, P . 2012: Rapid credit growth and international credit challenges to Asia. In: Pontines, V and Siregar, R (eds). Exchange Rate Appreciation, Capital Flows and Excess Liquidity: Adjustment and Effectiveness of Policy Responses. The SEACEN Center: Kuala Lumpur August, pp. 215–244.Google Scholar
- Bailey, A . 2013: Regulating international banks. Speech to the British Bankers Association International Banking Conference, London, 17 October.Google Scholar
- Bank of England. 2013: News release – Closure of Cyprus Popular Bank Public Co Ltd (Laiki Bank UK) and transfer of all deposits to Bank of Cyprus UK, 2 April.Google Scholar
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision. 2009: Consultative proposals to strengthen the resilience of the banking sector: International framework for liquidity risk measurement, standards and monitoring.Google Scholar
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision. 2012: Basel III regulatory consistency assessment programme. April.Google Scholar
- Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. 2007: Letter from Robert DeV Frierson to Patrick S Antrim, Bank of America, 20 August, www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/legalint/FederalReserveAct/2007/20070820a/20070820a.pdf.
- Cecchetti, S, Domanski, D and von Peter, G . 2011: New regulation and the new world of global banking. National Institute Economic Review 216 (1), April: R29–R40, http://ner.sagepub.com/content/216/1/R29.abstract.
- Committee on the Global Financial System. 2010: Funding patterns and liquidity management of internationally active banks. CGFS Publications: no 39, May.Google Scholar
- Duxbury, C and Forelle, C . 2013: Iceland wins case on deposit guarantees. Wall Street Journal, 28 January, http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323375204578269550368102278#printMode.
- Financial Services Authority. 2009: Strengthening liquidity standards. Policy Statement, 09/16.Google Scholar
- Guðmundsson, M . 2011: The fault lines in cross-border banking: Lessons from the Icelandic case. OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends 2011 (2): 1–10.Google Scholar
- He, D and McCauley, R . 2012: Eurodollar banking and currency internationalisation. BIS Quarterly Review, June, pp. 33–46, http://www.bis.org/publ/qtrpdf/r_qt1206f.pdf.
- He, D and McCauley, R . 2013: Transmitting global liquidity to East Asia: Policy rates, bond yields, currencies and dollar credit. BIS Working paper no. 431, October, Basel.Google Scholar
- He, Y . 2013: China’s Banks in London. Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation: no 111: London, July.Google Scholar
- Jones, G (ed) 1991: Multinational and international banking. Edward Elgar Publishing: Aldershot.Google Scholar
- Kalse, E . 2009: ING Direct was source of success and problems for Dutch bank. NRC Handelsblad, 30 October, http://vorige.nrc.nl/international/article2401602.ece/ING_Direct_was_source_of_success_and_problems_for_Dutch_bank.
- Kreicher, L, McCauley, R and McGuire, P . 2013: The 2011 FDIC assessment on banks managed liabilities: interest rate and balance-sheet responses. BIS Working Papers no 413, May, Basel.Google Scholar
- Masters, B . 2012: Britain tightens grip on fo reign banks, Financial Times 9 December, http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3edf0b3a-41ef-11e2-979e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2WU1q0kGy.
- McCauley, R and McGuire, P . 2014: Non-US banks’ claims on the Federal Reserve. BIS Quarterly Review, March, pp. 89–97 http://www.bis.org/publ/qtrpdf/r_qt1403i.pdf.
- Shäfer, D . 2012: Chinese banks flee London’s tough rules, Financial Times 28 October, http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3cabad56-2105-11e2-9720-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2WU1q0kGy.
- Van Steenis, H, Lam, H, Manners, C, Graseck, B and Cyprys, M . 2014: Balkanisation weighs on returns: US foreign bank rules likely finalised 18 Feb. Morgan Stanley Research Europe Wholesale Banks, 13 February.Google Scholar
- Tarullo, DK . 2012: Regulation of foreign banking organizations. Remarks to the Yale School of Management Leaders Forum, New Haven Connecticut, 28 November.Google Scholar
- Tarullo, DK . 2014: Opening statement by Governor Daniel K. Tarullo, 18 February, http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/bcreg/bcreg20140218a-tarullo-statement.htm.
- UBS. 2008: Shareholder report on UBS’s write-downs, UBS: Zurich, 18 April.Google Scholar
- United States, Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. 1981: Financial Institutions Restructuring and Services Act of 1981, Hearings on S. 1686, S. 1703, S. 1720 and S. 1721, 97th Congress, 1st Session, Part 11, pp. 589–590.Google Scholar