Learning from the Irish Experience – A Clinical Case Study in Banking Failure
- 27 Downloads
We present a review of the Irish banking collapse, detailing its origins in a confluence of events. We suggest that the very concentrated nature of the Irish banking sector, which will emerge from the policy decisions taken as a consequence of the collapse, runs a risk of a second crisis. We survey the literature on size and efficiency and suggest some alternative policy approaches.
Keywordsbanking Ireland regulation collapse
JEL ClassificationsG21 G28
- Ahern, A . 2009: Nationalised banks will find it harder to get international funds. The Irish Times 25 April, http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0425/1224245377281.html.
- Alsakka, R, Gwilyam, O and Vua, T . 2013: Bank and sovereign credit ratings during the European debt crisis, Bangor Business School, Bangor University, April, http://www.efmaefm.org/0EFMAMEETINGS/EFMA%20ANNUAL%20MEETINGS/2013-Reading/papers/Alsakka-R.pdf.
- Bloomberg. 2013: Fitch affirms Bank of Ireland support-driven ratings, http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/28/idUSWNB002SC20130128.
- Carswell, S . 2012: Anglo republic. Penguin: Dublin.Google Scholar
- CECOP. 2013: CECOP answer to the European Commission consultation on the Green Paper ‘Long-term financing of the European economy’ 24 June, http://www.cecop.coop/IMG/pdf/cecop_answer_green_paper_long-term_financing_en.pdf.
- Claessens, S and Laeven, L . 2004: What drives bank competition? Some international evidence. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking (2004): 563–583.Google Scholar
- Cooper, M . 2010: Who really runs Ireland. Penguin: Dublin.Google Scholar
- Dam, L and Koetter, M . 2011: Bank bailouts, interventions, and moral hazard. Deutsche Bundesbank, Discussion Paper, Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies No 10/2011, http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/50000/1/667625526.pdf.
- Fitzpatrick, T and Quinn, K . 2005: Cost efficiency in UK and Irish credit institutions. Economic and Social Review 36 (1): 45–66.Google Scholar
- Haldane, A . 2012: On being the right size 25 October, http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/speeches/2012/speech615.pdf.
- Hughes, J and Mester, L . 2011: Who said large banks don’t experience scale economies? Evidence from a risk-return-driven cost function. Working papers 11–27, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia: Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- IMF. 2013a: Financial sector assessment program European Union progress with bank restructuring and resolution in Europe. Technical Note. March.Google Scholar
- IMF. 2013b: Financial system stability assessment, March.Google Scholar
- IMF. 2013c: European Union: Publication of financial sector assessment program. New York, IMF Country Report no. 13/67.Google Scholar
- Lucey, BM . 1993: Profits, efficiency and Irish banks. Journal of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland 27 (1): 31–73.Google Scholar
- Mahon, A . 2012: The Final Report of the Tribunal of Enquiry into Certain Planning Matters and Payments. Dublin: Department of Justice, p. 1473.Google Scholar
- Mercille, J . 2013: The role of the media in sustaining Ireland’s housing bubble. New Political Economy (in press) 1–20.Google Scholar
- Noss, J and Sowerbutts, R . 2012: The implicit subsidy of banks. Financial Stability paper no. 15. May, Bank of England.Google Scholar
- Regling, K and Watson, M . 2010: A preliminary report on the sources of Ireland’s banking crisis. Central Bank of Ireland, http://www.bankinginquiry.gov.ie/Preliminary%20Report%20into%20Ireland's%20Banking%20Crisis%2031%20May%202010.pdf.
- Rojas, J-P . 2013: Co-operative Bank stops new corporate loans. Independent 24 May, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cooperative-bank-stops-new-corporate-loans-8631264.html.
- S&P. 2013: Credit FAQ: The ongoing ties between the Irish sovereign and its banks, http://static.rasset.ie/documents/business/standard.pdf.
- Ueda, K and Weder di Mauro, B . 2012: Quantifying structural subsidy values for systemically important financial institutions. New York. IMF Working paper 12/128.Google Scholar