Introduction: The Euro: Manage It or Leave It!
This symposium collects the keynote speeches delivered by Roberto Frenkel and Ugo Panizza at the workshop ‘The euro: manage it or leave it!’ held in Pescara (Italy) on 22–23 June 2012, along with a paper written by Andrea Boltho and Wendy Carlin, which was not presented at the workshop. The workshop was organized jointly by the International Network for Economic Research and the Department of Economics at the University of Pescara, and it focused on the economic, social and political costs of the exit strategies from the current Eurozone crisis.
At the time this introduction was written in June 2013, this issue was still timely. In most European countries the end of the recession looks now farther away than it appeared one year ago. The April 2012 edition of the World Economic Outlook (International Monetary Fund (IMF), 2012), forecast for 2013 a real GDP growth rate equal to 1.0% in France, 1.4% in Germany, and −0.3% in Italy. One year later, the April 2013 edition of the Outlook (IMF...
- Alesina, A and Perotti, R . 1996: Fiscal adjustments in OECD countries: composition and macroeconomic effects. Working Paper no. 5730, NBER, August, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Bayoumi, T and Eichengreen, B . 1992: Shocking aspects of European monetary unification. Working Paper no. 3949, NBER, January, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Blanchard, O and Quah, F . 1989: The dynamic effects of aggregate demand and aggregate supply disturbances. American Economic Review 79 (4): 665–673.Google Scholar
- Draghi, M . 2013: Press conference following the meeting of the Governing Council of the European Central Bank on 4 April 2013, http://www.ecb.int/press/tvservices/webcast/html/webcast_130404.en.html, accessed 12 June 2013.
- Eichengreen, B . 1993: European monetary unification. Journal of Economic Literature 31 (3): 1321–57.Google Scholar
- Granville, B . 2013: The current Eurozone – and impediment to critical French reform. Working Paper no. 42, Centre for Globalisation Research, March, London.Google Scholar
- Herndon, T, Ash, M and Pollin, R . 2013: Does high public debt consistently stifle economic growth? A critique of Reinhart and Rogoff. Political Economy Research Institute. Working Paper no. 322, University of Massachusetts: Amherst, April.Google Scholar
- International Monetary Fund (IMF). 2012: World economic outlook database, http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01/weodata/index.aspx, April, accessed 12 June 2013.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF). 2013a: World economic outlook database, http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2013/01/weodata/index.aspx, April, accessed 12 June 2013.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF). 2013b: Greece. Ex post evaluation of exceptional access under the 2010 stand-by arrangement, http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2013/cr13156.pdf, May, accessed 12 June 2013.
- Kaldor, N . 1971: The dynamic effects of the Common Market. The New Statesman 12 March 1971.Google Scholar
- Kouparitsas, MA . 1999: Is EMU a viable common currency area? A VAR analysis of regional business cycles. Economic Perspectives 4: 2–20.Google Scholar
- Krugman, P . 2012: Economics in the crisis. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/economics-in-the-crisis/, accessed 12 June 2013.
- Mundell, R . 1961: A theory of optimum currency areas. American Economic Review 51 (4): 657–665.Google Scholar
- Panizza, U and Presbitero, AF . 2012: Public debt and economic growth: is there a causal effect? Working Paper no. 65, MoFiR, April, Ancona, Italy.Google Scholar
- Perotti, R . 2011: The ‘austerity myth’: gain without pain? Working Paper no. 17571, NBER, November, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Sapir, J . 2012: Le coût du fédéralisme dans la zone Euro. Russeurope, November, http://russeurope.hypotheses.org/453, accessed 12 June 2013.
- Scitovsky, T . 1958: Economic theory and Western European integration. Stanford University Press: Stanford.Google Scholar