Ethnic heterogeneity and party system size: A district-level analysis
It has been theoretically and empirically shown that ideological diversity complements the effect of institutions on the development of party systems and the number of political parties that ensue. Thus, students of party and electoral systems now commonly employ ethnic fractionalization as an indicator of ideological differences; however, there is no unilaterally agreed upon data set that scholars use. In addition, extant data sets measure heterogeneity at the national level, rather than at the district level, where electoral competition takes place and where both institutional and social factors matter most. Using a multi-level empirical analysis, this article illustrates the interactive effect of the two main district characteristics – magnitude and heterogeneity – on the number of parties. It demonstrates the analytical benefit of using district-level characteristics in explaining party system size and aims to reduce the data gap by providing a district-level ethnic heterogeneity data set for 18 European states.
Keywordsparty system size district-level analysis ethnic heterogeneity index Europe
The author thanks Dimiter Toshkov and three anonymous reviewers for their helpful comments and critiques, as well as Scott Morgenstern for his incessant support throughout the way. The financial support of the European Research Council (ERC_Stg07_205660) is also gratefully acknowledged. All errors remain mine.
- Administrative Atlas of the Republic of Bulgaria. (2005) Sofia, Bulgaria. ISBN 954-705-013-0.Google Scholar
- Bundesamt für Statistik. (2006) Wohnbevölkerung nach Hauptsprache 2000, Switzerland, firstname.lastname@example.org.Google Scholar
- Caramani, D. (2000) Elections in Western Europe Since 1815: Electoral Results by Constituencies. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Celis, K. (2012) Unpublished manuscript, Gender quota interacting with ethnic minority representation. Parties regulating descriptive representation for multiple groups in Belgian local elections. Paper Presented at the Gender & Regulation Workshop, 28–29 June, at Leiden University.Google Scholar
- Census Croatia. (2001) Croatian bureau of statistics, http://www.dzs.hr/Eng/censuses/Census2001/Popis/E01_02_02/E01_02_02.html, accessed July 2012.
- Census Czech Republic. (2001) Czech statistical office, http://web.archive.org/web/20060618205423; /http://www.czso.cz/eng/redakce.nsf/i/4_population_by_nationality/$File/s%C4%8D%C3%ADt%C3%A1n%C3%AD%20Tab4-A.xls, accessed July 2012.
- Census Estonia. (2000) Statistics Estonia, http://pub.stat.ee/px-web.2001/Dialog/varval.asp?ma=PC222&ti=POPULATION+BY+THE+PLACE+OF+RESIDENCE+AND+ETHNIC+NATIONALITY&path=../I_Databas/Population_census/PHC2000/08Ethnic_nationality._Mother_tongue._Command_of_foreign_languages/&lang=1, accessed July 2012.
- Census Hungary. (2001) Hungarian central statistical office, http://www.nepszamlalas2001.hu/eng/volumes/06/00/tabeng/4/load01_11_0.html, accessed July 2012.
- Census Ireland. (2002) Central statistics office Ireland, http://census.cso.ie/Census/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=1457, accessed July 2012.
- Census Slovenia. (2002) Statistical office of the Republic of Slovenia, http://pxweb.stat.si/pxweb/Dialog/varval.asp?ma=REG-17E&ti =&path=../Database/Census2002/Statistical_regions/ Population/Demographic-characteristics/&lang=1, accessed July 2012.Google Scholar
- Census Spain. (2001) National statistics institute, http://www.ine.es/censo/en/estructura.jsp?k=MDDB.COLECTIVO_P1, accessed July 2012.
- Chhibber, P. and Kollman, K. (2004) The Formation of National Party Systems: Federalism and Party Competition in Canada, Great Britain, India and the United States. Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Duverger, M. (1954) Political Parties: Their Organization and Activity in the Modern State. New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Eurostat. (2006) Data on population by sex, citizenship and NUTS 3 regions. Austria, http://pub.stat.ee/px-web.2001/Dialog/varval.asp?ma=PC222&ti=POPULATION+BY+THE+PLACE+OF+RESIDENCE+AND+ETHNIC+NATIONALITY&path=../I_Databas/Population_census/PHC2000/08Ethnic_nationality._Mother_tongue._Command_of_foreign_languages/&lang=1;Italy, http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-206245_QID_6889B11B_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=CITIZEN,L,X,0;TIME,C,X,1;GEO,L,Y,0;SEX,L,Z,0;UNIT,L,Z,1;INDICATORS,C,Z,2;&zSelection=DS-206245INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-206245SEX,T;DS-206245UNIT,PERS;Norway, http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-206245_QID_3C63DD16_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=CITIZEN,L,X,0;TIME,C,X,1;GEO,L,Y,0;SEX,L,Z,0;UNIT,L,Z,1;INDICATORS,C,Z,2;&zSelection=DS-206245SEX,T;DS-206245INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-206245UNIT,PERS;Poland, http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-206245_QID_13D62DC_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=CITIZEN,L,X,0;TIME,C,X,1;GEO,L,Y,0;SEX,L,Z,0;UNIT,L,Z,1;INDICATORS,C,Z,2;&zSelection=DS-206245INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-206245SEX,T;DS-206245UNIT,PERS;and Sweden, http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-206245_QID_-18EF79E5_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=CITIZEN,L,X,0;TIME,C,X,1;GEO,L,Y,0;SEX,L,Z,0;UNIT,L,Z,1;INDICATORS,C,Z,2;&zSelection=DS-206245SEX,T;DS-206245INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-206245UNIT,PERS, accessed July 2012.
- Hox, J. (1995) Applied Multi-Level Analysis. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: TT-Publikaties.Google Scholar
- Institutul National De Statistica. (2002) Romania Pe Regiuni De Dezvoltare Si Judete, http://www.insse.ro/cms/rw/pages/index.ro.do, accessed April 2006.Google Scholar
- Moser, R.G., Scheiner, E. and Milazzo, C. (2011) Social diversity affects the number of parties even under first-past-the-post rules, Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association. Seattle, Washington DC, 1–4 September. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1901513.
- Population Structure 2000 (Publication). (2000) Statistics Finland, http://www.arcticstat.org/Table.aspx/Region/Finland/Indicator/[Population]Ethnicity!Citizenship/2010-05-06-58/13540, accessed July 2012.
- Rae, D.W. (1967) The Political Consequences of Electoral Laws. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Roeder, P. (2002) Ethnolinguistic fractionalization (ELF) indices, 1961 and 1985, http://dss.ucsd.edu/∼proeder/elf.htm, last accessed July 2012.Google Scholar
- Statistisches Bundesamt. (2006) Data for Ausländische Bevölkerung am 31.12.2005, http://www.statistik-portal.de/Statistik-Portal/en/en_jb01_jahrtab2.asp, accessed April 2006.
- Taagepera, R. and Shugart, M. (1989) Seats and Votes: The Effects and Determinants of Electoral Systems. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar