Blogging the brand: Meaning transfer and the case of Weight Watchers’ online community
- 203 Downloads
Brand communities are becoming increasingly popular online. The current study examines the Weight Watchers online brand community to understand the role consumer engagement plays in shaping brand meaning and how brand meaning is transferred through computer-mediated content. Social and cultural meanings are discussed. Practical implications for brand strategies are included and also how to engage consumers with content delivered through online communities.
Keywordsonline community online engagement branding brand meaning strategic communication
- Batra, R., Lehmann, D. and Singh, D. (2013) The brand personality component of brand goodwill: Some antecedents and consequences. In: D. Aaker and A.L. Biel (eds.) Brand Equity and Advertising: Advertising’s Role in Building Strong Brands. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 83–96.Google Scholar
- Geertz, C. (1973) The Interpretation of Culture: Selected Essays. Vol. 5019. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Marketdata Research (2012) U.S. weight loss market forecast to hit $66 billion in 2013, http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10278281.htm, accessed 2 December 2014.
- Miles, M.B. and Huberman, A.M. (1984) Qualitative Data Analysis: A Sourcebook of New Methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Parks, M.R. and Floyd, K. (1996) Making friends in cyberspace. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 1 (4): http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1083-6101.1996.tb00176.x/full.
- Schindler, R.M. and Bickart, B. (2005) Published word of mouth: Referable, consumer-generated information on the Internet. In: C.P. Haugtvedt, K.A. Machleit and R. Yalch (eds.) Online Consumer Psychology: Understanding and Influencing Consumer Behavior in the Virtual World. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 32–58.Google Scholar
- Schummer, T. and Lukosch, S. (2013) Patterns for Computer-Mediated Interaction. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- U.S. News & World Report (2014) What you need to know: US best diets, http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/weight-watchers-diet, accessed 2 February 2015.
- Webb, T., Joseph, J., Yardley, L. and Michie, S. (2010) Using the internet to promote health behavior change: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the impact of theoretical basis, use of behavior change techniques, and mode of deliver on efficacy. Journal of Medical Internet Research 12 (1): e4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar