Designing and implementing brand architecture strategies
- 1.7k Downloads
Given the importance of brands as intangible assets for organizations, the ability to strategically manage those brands is critical. A well-designed and well-implemented brand architecture strategy can provide a product roadmap to the future for a brand, clarifying where it can go and how it can get there. The brand architecture strategy of a firm determines which brand elements a firm should apply across new and existing products and services. It is virtually impossible to manage and maximize the value and equity of a brand without a clear, compelling brand architecture strategy, whether explicitly written down or not. Toward that goal, we outline a three-step process by which a firm can design and implement their brand architecture strategy. Throughout our discussion, we introduce key concepts, provide insights and guidelines, and offer illustrative examples.
Keywordsbrand architecture brand strategies brand positioning brand extensions brand hierarchies
- Automotive News Europe (2010) VW to Bring Back Phaeton to U.S. After Flop, 19 August.Google Scholar
- Bedbury, S. (2002) A New Brand World. New York: Viking Press.Google Scholar
- Bulik, B.S. (2005) Tech sector ponders: What’s in a name? Advertising Age 9 (May): 24.Google Scholar
- Elliott, S. (2013) Lipton goes back to basics with a tea bag. New York Times 9 January.Google Scholar
- Fortt, J. (2010) Cisco's Online Video Gamble, Fortune, 1 November 2010.Google Scholar
- Gunther, M. (2010) Waste management’s new direction. Fortune 6 December, http://archive.fortune.com/2010/12/03/news/companies/waste_management_trash.fortune/index.htm, accessed 10 November 2014.
- Neff, J. (2012) Just how well-defined is your brand’s ideal? Advertising age 16 January, http://adage.com/article/news/defined-brand-s-ideal/232097, accessed 10 November 2014.
- Newmark, A. (2010) 2011 Volkswagen Phaeton facelift in depth, 7 June, http://www.worldcarfans.com, accessed 10 November 2014.
- Newmark, Z. (2010) VW phaeton to return to U.S. market, 20 August, http://www.worldcarfans.com, accessed 10 November 2014.
- Stengel, J. (2011) Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World’s Greatest Companies. New York: Crown Business.Google Scholar
- Völckner, F. and Sattler, H. (2006) Drivers of brand extension success. Journal of Marketing 70 (April): 1–17.Google Scholar
- Warc (2012) Ideals key for top brands, 4 January, http://www.warc.com/LatestNews/News/Ideals_drive_top_brands.news?ID=29270, accessed 10 November 2014.