The impact of a celebrity endorser’s credibility on consumer self-brand connection and brand evaluation
- 371 Downloads
Celebrity endorsements are a popular marketing communication’s strategy globally. Yet, there is limited understanding of how celebrity endorsements influence consumers’ self-brand connections as well as brand evaluation of an endorsed brand. Emergent research reveals support for an indirect mechanism by which endorser credibility facilitates consumer outcomes. The present research has two objectives. The first is to assess the impact of endorser credibility on consumers’ self-brand connection, an emergent concept that captures the consumer tendency to integrate a brand into their self-concept. Celebrities represent aspirational reference groups for consumers, and an investigation of how celebrities shape consumers’ self-brand connections and subsequent brand evaluations adds novelty to the branding literature. The second objective is to examine a possible mediating role of self-brand connection towards generating endorsed brand evaluation. We develop a conceptual model and estimate it using data generated from consumers of telecom brands. The model achieves acceptable fit to the data, supporting most of the hypotheses. Self-brand connection is offered as an outcome of endorser credibility as well as a mediator of the influence of endorser credibility on brand evaluation. The findings have useful implications for brand managers contemplating the use of celebrity endorsements.
Keywordscelebrity endorsements endorser credibility self-brand connection brand evaluation
- 360.steelcase.com (2010) Who are today’s students? 360 degrees: The Magazine of Workplace Research, Insights and Trends. Fall Issue, http://www.steelcase.com/en/Resources/industries/education/Documents/360%20Education_individual%20articles/360_Education_Who%20are%20today's%20students.pdf, accessed August 2014.
- Byrne, B.M. (2010) Structural Equation Modeling: Basic Concepts, Applications and Programming. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Euromonitor (2007) Top 10 consumer trends in India, Business Source Complete, EbscoHost online database, September 20, pp 1–7.Google Scholar
- Evalueserve (2009) Uptake of 3G Services in India. Evalueserve White Papers September 24. Business Source Complete, EbscoHost online database, pp 1–7.Google Scholar
- Gailewicz, J. (2014) Meet the millennials: The consumers to change the marketing landscape. The Next Web. 29 March, http://thenextweb.com/entrepreneur/2014/03/29/meet-millennials-consumers-change-marketing-landscape/1/, accessed September 2014.
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J. and Anderson, R.E. (2010) Multivariate Data Analysis: A Global Perspective. New Jersey: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Indiantelevision.com (2009) Snapshot on celebrity endorsement on TV during H1 ‘09’. August 11, http://www.indiantelevision.com/tamadex/y2k9/aug/tam32.php, accessed 20 September 2013.
- Keller, K.L. (2013) Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring and Managing Brand Equity. Essex: Pearson Education Limited.Google Scholar
- Kline, R.B. (2011) Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling. New York: The Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Malhotra, N.K. (2010) Marketing Research: An Applied Orientation. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- McCorkindale, T., DiStaso, M.W. and Sisco, H.F. (2013) How millennials are engaging and building relationships with organizations on facebook. The Journal of Social Media in Society 2 (1): 66–87.Google Scholar
- Sbarbaro, S., Van der Bergh, J., Veris, E. and De Ruyck, T. (2011) We got a crush on you(th)! Involving influential Gen Y’ers from 15 global cities to learn why something is cool. ESOMAR Research Paper, Collection: Qualitative, 13 November 2011, Retrieved from the World Advertising Research Centre (www.warc.com) database.
- Shivakumar, G. (2013) India is set to become the youngest country by 2020. The Hindu, 17 April, http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/india-is-set-to-become-the-youngest-country-by-2020/article4624347.ece, accessed August 2014.
- Sinha, A. (2009) Celebrity endorsement market back on track. Business Standard, 26 October, http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/celebrity-endorsement-market-backtrack/374239/, accessed 20 September 2013.
- Sladek, S. (2012) Why Gen Y won’t buy what you’re selling. XYZ University.com. 9 October, http://xyzuniversity.com/2012/10/why-gen-y-wont-buy-what-youre-selling/, accessed September 2014.
- Sprott, D., Czellar, S. and Spangenberg, E. (2009) The importance of a general measure of brand engagement on market behavior: Development and validation of a scale. Journal of Marketing 46 (1): 92–104.Google Scholar
- Steelcase.com (2011) Gen Y: India. A research project by steelcase workspace futures, http://www.steelcase.com/en/resources/research-projects/documents/steelcase_workspace%20futures_geny_india_april2011.pdf, accessed August 2014.
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (2011) Information Note to the Press (Press Release No. 41/2011). Release date: 7 July 2011, New Delhi, http://www.prepaidmvno.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Press_Release_May-11.pdf, accessed 20 September 2013.
- Telecomcircle.com (2012) Snapshot: India Telecom Market. July, http://www.telecomcircle.com/2009/06/india-telecom/, accessed 20 September 2013.
- Van den Bergh, J. and Behrer, M. (2011) How Cool Brands Stay Hot: Branding to Generation Y, 2nd edn, London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar