Five areas to advance branding theory and practice
- 250 Downloads
The article presents an overview of areas that advance branding theory and practice based on the authors’ recent work in brand management. These include branding in higher education, branding in Asia Pacific, brand ambidexterity, brand innovation on social media and brand likeability. Examples of implications are given and potential areas for further research are discussed.
Keywordsbranding in higher education branding in Asia pacific brand ambidexterity brand innovation on social media brand likeability
- Alwitt, L.F. (1987) Components of the Likeability of Advertising. Presentation to the Stellner Symposium on Uses of Cognitive Psychology in Advertising and Marketing. University of Illinois, May 1987.Google Scholar
- Cai, L., Yu, X., Liu, Q. and Nguyen, B. (2014) Radical innovation, market orientation, and risk-taking in Chinese new ventures: An exploratory study. International Journal of Technology Management.Google Scholar
- Chapleo, C. (2010) Branding a university: Adding real value or smoke and mirrors? In: M. Molesworth, R. Scullion and E. Nixon (eds.) In The Marketisation of Higher Education and the Student as Consumer. London: Routledge, pp. 101–114.Google Scholar
- Cheng, A.T. (2014) Yu’e Bao Wow! How Alibaba is reshaping Chinese finance, Investors. May 29, http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/3346365/investors-sovereign-wealth-funds/yue-bao-wow-how-alibaba-is-reshaping-chinese-finance.html?ArticleId=3346365&p=1#.U-yDrhbnKap, accessed 14 August 2014.
- Cialdini, R.B. (1993) Influence: Science and Practice, 3rd edn. New York: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- FastCompany (2014) Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in China, http://www.fastcompany.com/most-innovative-companies/2014/industry/china, accessed 14 November 2014.
- Gold, A.H., Malhotra, A. and Segars, A.H. (2001) Knowledge management: An organizational capabilities perspective. Journal of Management Information Systems 18 (1): 185–214.Google Scholar
- Hong, K. (2014) Messaging app WeChat brings Chinese new year traditions into the mobile era, TNW, http://thenextweb.com/asia/2014/02/05/messaging-app-wechat-brings-chinese-new-year-traditions-into-the-mobile-era/, accessed 14 August 2014.
- Japutra, A., Nguyen, B. and Melewar, T.C. (forthcoming) A Framework of Brand Strategy and The ‘Glocalization’ Approach: The Case of Indonesia. In: J.M. Alcantara-Pilar, E. Crespo-Almedros and L. Porcu (eds.) Analyzing the Cultural Diversity of Consumers in the Global Marketplace. IGI Global.Google Scholar
- Kenrick, D.T., Neuberg, S.L. and Cialdini, R.B. (2002) Social Psychology: Unraveling the Mystery, 2nd edn. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.Google Scholar
- Kickstarter (2014) https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/the-history-of-1-updated.
- Leo Burnett Company (1990) 100 LEO’s. Chicago, IL: Leo Burnett Company.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, B., Choudhury, M.M. and Melewar, T.C. (2014) An integrated model of brand likeability: Antecedents and consequences. Journal of Strategic Marketing.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, B., Ekinci, Y., Simkin, L. and Melewar, T.C. (forthcoming) The brand likeability scale: An exploratory study of likeability in firm-level brands. International Journal of Market Research. in press.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, B., Melewar, T.C. and Chen, J. (2013b) The brand likeability effect: Can firms make themselves more likeable? Journal of General Management 38 (3): 25–50.Google Scholar
- Price, A. (2014) What coke learned from social media. Pulse, http://www.bandt.com.au/marketing/coke-learned-social-media, accessed 13 August 2014.
- Robertson, A. and Khatibi, A. (2013) The influence of employer branding on productivity-related outcomes of an organization. IUP Journal of Brand Management 10 (3): 17–32.Google Scholar
- Samuelsson, M. (2001) Modeling the nascent venture opportunity exploitation process across time. In: W.D. Bygrave, E. Autio, C.G. Brush, P. Davidsson, P.G. Green, P.D. Reynolds and H.J. Sapienza (eds.) Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research 2001. Wellesley, MA: Babson College, pp. 66–79.Google Scholar
- Shane, S. and Venkataraman, S. (2000) The promise of entrepreneurship as a field of research. Academy of Management Review 25 (1): 217–226.Google Scholar
- Von Hippel, E., Ogawa, S. and de Jong, J.P.J. (2011) The age of the consumer-innovator. MIT Sloan Management Review 53 (1): 27–35.Google Scholar
- Yu, X., Chen, Y., Nguyen, B. and Zhang, W. (2014b) Ties with government, strategic capability, and organizational ambidexterity: Evidence from China’s information communication technology industry. Information Technology & Management 15 (2): 81–98.Google Scholar
- Yu, X., Nguyen, B. and Chen, Y. (forthcoming) Internet of things capability and alliance: Entrepreneurship orientation, market orientation and product and process innovation. Internet Research. in press.Google Scholar