Age and Physiological Condition of Donor Plants Affect in vitro Morphogenesis in Leaf Explants of Passiflora edulis f. flavicarpa
- 294 Downloads
A protocol for in vitro shoot regeneration from leaf discs of Passiflora edulis f. flavicarpa is described. The effect of explant source on morphogenesis was studied by comparing the response of explants collected from young plants, in vitro plantlets, and reinvigorated adult plants. Highest de novo shoot production was observed in explants from 2-month-old plants cultured in Murashige and Skoog medium supplemented with sucrose 30 g l−1, 4.44 µM benzyladenine, and 2.32 µM kinetin. Regenerated shoots rooted spontaneously in growth regulator-free medium and were successfully acclimatized to greenhouse conditions. Influence of the age and physiological state on shoot regeneration and gradual loss of morphogenic capacity is discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coppens d'Eeckenbrugge G, Segura SD, Hodson de JE & Góngora G (1997) Les fruits de la Passion. In: Charrier A, Jacquot M, Hamon S & Nicolas D (eds) L'amélioration Des Plantes Tropicales (pp 291–312). CIRAD-ORSTOM Coedition, Montpellier.Google Scholar
- Cozza R, Turco D, Bati C & Bitonti M (1997) Influence of growth medium on mineral composition and leaf histology in micro-propagated plantlets of Olea europaea. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 51: 215–223.Google Scholar
- Dornelas MC & Vieira MLC (1994) Tissue culture studies on species of Passiflora. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 36: 211–217.Google Scholar
- Drew RA (1991) In vitro culture of adult and juvenile bud explants of Passiflora species. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 26: 23–27.Google Scholar
- Faria J & Segura J (1997) Micropropagation of Yellow passionfruit by axillary bud proliferation. HortScience. 32: 1276–1277.Google Scholar
- Góngora GA, Hodson de JE & Forero A (2000) Genetic transformation of economically important passion fruits in Colombia. 6th International Congress of Plant Molecular Biology, Quebec.Google Scholar
- Han KH, Meilan R, Ma C & Strauss SH (2000) An Agrobacterium tumefaciens transformation protocol effective on a variety of cottonwood hybrids (genus Populus). Plant Cell Rep. 19: 315–320.Google Scholar
- Kawata K, Ushida C, Kawai F, Kanamori M & Kuriyama A (1995) Micropropagation of passionfruit from Subcultured Multiple Shoot Primordia. J. Plant Physiol. 174: 281–284.Google Scholar
- Pereira A, Bertoni B, Appezzato-Da-Gloria B, Araujo A, Januario A, Lourenco M & Franca S (2000) Micropropagation of Pothomorphe umbellata via direct organogenesis from leaf explants. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 60: 47–53.Google Scholar