Physicochemical Processes during Precipitation of Silica from Geothermal Brine
Physicochemical properties of the silica–geothermal brine colloidal system are investigated. The reaction order and the rate constants for silica polymerization are determined, the radius of colloidal particles is measured, and their charge is estimated. The mechanism of coagulation and precipitation of colloidal silica by metal cations is experimentally studied. On the basis of the results obtained, a basic process to recover silica from the geothermal heat-transfer medium is designed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kutepov, A.M., Latkin, A.S., and Potapov, V.V., Motion of and Mass Transfer into a Liquid Droplet in the Swirling Flow of the Geothermal Medium, Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 2000, vol. 34, no. 2, p. 152.Google Scholar
- 2.Potapov, V.V., Karpov, G.A., and Podverbnyi, V.M., Removal of Silica from Geothermal Brine, Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 2002, vol. 36, no. 6, p. 644.Google Scholar
- 3.Potapov, V.V., Electrochemical Treatment of Hydrothermal Heat-Transfer Medium before Back Pumping, Teploenergetika, 2002, no. 1, p. 38.Google Scholar
- 4.Potapov, V.V. and Kashpura, V.N., Application of Colloidal Geothermal Silica for Sodium Silicate Production, Khim. Tekhnol., 2002, no. 4, p. 7.Google Scholar
- 5.Marshall, W.L., Amorphous Silica Solubilities: I. Behavior in Aqueous Sodium Nitrate Solutions: 25-300°C 0-6 Molal, Geochim. Cosmochim. ActaPeople's/E1980}, vol. 44, p.?907.Google Scholar
- 6.Iler, R.K., The Chemistry of Silica: Solubility, Polymerization, Colloid and Surface Properties, and Biochemistry of Silica, New York: Wiley, 1979. Translated under the title Khimiya kremnezema, Moscow: Mir, 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.Rothbaum, H.P. and Rohde, A.G., Kinetics of Silica Polymerization and Deposition from Dilute Solutions between 5 and 180°C, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1979, vol. 71, no. 3, p. 533.Google Scholar
- 8.Fleming, B.A., Kinetics of Reaction between Silicic Acid and Amorphous Silica Surfaces in NaCl Solutions, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1986, vol. 110, no. 1, p. 40.Google Scholar
- 9.Babenkov, E.D., Ochistka vody koagulyantami(Water Treatment with Coagulants)}, Moscow: Nauka, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.Iler, R.K., Coagulation of Colloidal Silica by Calcium Ions, Mechanism, and Effect of Particle Size, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 1975, vol. 53, no. 3, p. 476.Google Scholar