Landslide and Tsunami 21 November 2000 in Paatuut, West Greenland
- 288 Downloads
A large landslide occurred November 21, 2000 at Paatuut, facing the Vaigat Strait onthe west coast of Greenland. 90 million m3 (260 million tons) of mainly basalticmaterial slid very rapidly (average velocity 140 km/h) down from 1,000–1,400 maltitude. Approximately 30 million m3 (87 million tons) entered the sea, creatinga tsunami with an run-up height of 50 m close to the landslide and 28 m at Qullissat,an abandoned mining town opposite Paatuut across the 20 km wide Vaigat strait. Theevent was recorded seismically, allowing the duration of the slide to be estimated tocirca 80 s and also allowing an estimate of the surface-wave magnitude of the slideof 2.3. Terrain models based on stereographic photographs before and after the slidemade it possible to determine the amount of material removed, and the manner ofre-deposition. Simple calculations of the tsunami travel times are in good correspondencewith the reports from the closest populated village, Saqqaq, 40 km from Paatuut, whererefracted energy from the tsunami destroyed a number of boats. Landslides are notuncommon in the area, due to the geology with dense basaltic rocks overlying poorlyconsolidated sedimentary rocks, but the size of the Paatuut slide is unusual. Based onthe observations it is likely at least 500 years since an event with a tsunami of similarproportions occurred. The triggering of the Paatuut slide is interpreted to be caused byweather conditions in the days prior to the slide, where re-freezing melt water inpre-existing cracks could have caused failure of the steep mountain side.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dahl-Jensen, T., Larsen, T. B., Woelbern, I., Bach, T., Hanka, W., Kind, R., Gregersen, S., Mosegaard, K., Voss, P., and Gudmundson, O.: 2003. Depth to Moho in Greenland: Receiver Function Analysis suggest two Proterozoic Blocks in Greenland, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 205, 379–393.Google Scholar
- Dam, G.: 2002, Sedimentology of magmatically and structurally controlled outburst valleys along rifted volcanic margins: examples from the Nuussuaq Basin, West Greenland, Sedimentology 49, 505–532.Google Scholar
- Dam, G. and Nohr-Hansen, H.: 2001, Mantle plumes and sequence stratigraphy: Late Maastrichtian-Early Paleocene of West Greenland, Bulletin of the Geological Society of Denmark 48, 189–207.Google Scholar
- Gregersen, S.: 1970, Surface wave dispersion and crust structure in Greenland, Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 22, 22–39.Google Scholar
- Gregersen, S.: 1982. Seismicity and observations of Lg wave attenuation in Greenland, Tectonophysics 89, 77–93.Google Scholar
- Long, A. J., Roberts, D. H., and Wright, M. R.: 1999. Isolation basin stratigraphy and Holocene relative sea-level change on Arveprinsen Ejland, Disko Bugt, West Greenland, Journal of Quaternary Science 14, 323–345.Google Scholar
- Marcussen, C., Chalmers, J. A., Andersen, H. L., Rasmussen, R., and Dahl-Jensen, T.: 2001, Acquisition of high-resolution multichannel seismic data in the offshore part of the Nuussuaq Basin, central West Greenland, Geology of Greenland Survey Bulletin 189, 34–40.Google Scholar
- Pedersen, A. K., Larsen, L. M., and Dueholm, K. S.: 1993, Geological section along the south coast of Nuussuaq, central West Greenland. 1:20,000 coloured geological sheet, Geological Survey of Greenland, Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Pedersen, G. K., Larsen, L. M., Pedersen, A. K., and Hjortkjaer, B. F.: 1998, The syn-volcanic Naajaat lake, Paleocene of West Greenland, In N. N. Noe (ed.), Limno Geology; Research and Methods in Ancient and Modern Lacustrine Basins, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands, pp. 271–287.Google Scholar
- Pedersen, G. K. and Pulvertaft, T. C. R.: 1992, The nonmarine Cretaceous of the West Greenland Basin, onshore West Greenland, Cretaceous Research 13, 263–272.Google Scholar
- Pedersen, J.: 2002, Jordskredsgenererede kœmpebølger ved Diskobugten i Gronalnd, unpublished B.Sc. Thesis. University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, 23 pp.Google Scholar
- Pedersen, S. A. S., Dahl-Jensen, T., Jepsen, H., Larsen, L. M., Pedersen, G. K., Nielsen, T., Pedersen, A. K., and Weng, W.: 2001, Fjeldskred ved Paatuut. Rep. 2001/99, Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland, Copenhagen.Google Scholar