Production of Dense Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia Thin Films by Dip-Coating for IT-SOFC Application
- 439 Downloads
Yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) thin films were prepared by conventional and modified dip-coating techniques followed by heating to an appropriate temperature in air. Scanning electron microscopy showed that films of the thickness ranging from 20 to 30 μm were dense and crack-free. The electrical properties of the films were investigated by ac impedance spectroscopy. La0.8Sr0.2MnO3 paste was printed on to a YSZ electrolyte/anode assembly to create single fuel cells which were tested in the temperature range 650–800 °C. The results showed that both open circuit voltage (OCV) and maximum power density values of the cells with electrolytes produced by the modified dip coating were higher than those fabricated by conventional processing. At 800 °C, the OCV reached 0.98 V and a maximum power density of 190 mW cm−2 was attained, demonstrating that the modified dip coating process is a simple and cost-effective fabrication technique for IT-SOFCs, though further improvement is necessary.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Zhu, J. Power Sources 84 (1999) 39.Google Scholar
- 2.Q.X. Fu, S.W. Zha, W. Zhang, D.K. Peng, G.Y. Meng and B. Zhu, J. Power Sources 104 (2002) 73.Google Scholar
- 4.A.C. Jones, Chem. Vap. Deposition 4 (1998) 169.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Charpentier, P. Fragnaud, D.M. Schleich and C. Lunot, in U. Stimming, S.C. Singhal, H. Tagawa and W. Lehnert (Eds), ‘Proc. 5th Int. Conf. Solid Oxide Fuel Cells’ (Electrochemical Society, 1997) p. 1169.Google Scholar
- 8.G.Z. Cao, H.W. Brinkman, J. Meijerink, K.J. de Vries and A.J. Burggraaf, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 76 (1993) 2201.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Setoguchi, K. Eguchi and H. Arai, J. Vac. 46 (1991) 1601.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Cassidy, K. Kendall and C. Lindsay, in B. Thorstensen (Ed), ‘Proc. 2nd European Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Forum’ (European SOFC Forum, Oberrohrdorf, Switzerland, 1996) p. 667.Google Scholar
- 15.Y.F. Gu and G.Y. Meng, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 19 (1999) 1961.Google Scholar
- 18.S.-P. Jiang, Battery Bimonthly 32 (2002) 133.Google Scholar
- 20.E.S. Thiele, L.S. Wang, T.O. Mason and S.A. Barnet, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A (1991) 3054.Google Scholar