Electromagnetic control of electroplating of a cylinder in forced convection
- 95 Downloads
Continuous electrodeposition on a cylindrical cathode, e.g. electrodeposition of gold on electrical connectors, is usually characterized by an undesirable non-homogeneity of the deposit thickness. This has been observed in industrial applications. Numerical simulations have shown very good agreement with observations. This paper deals with the possibility of improving the homogeneity of the deposit thickness by a magnetic field that is parallel to the axis of the cylinder. The electromagnetic volume force generated by such a magnetic field may set up a swirling motion around the cylinder. By controlling the force density it is possible to control the thickness of the diffusive layer and consequently the mass transfer. The magnetic field can be optimized with respect to strength, spatial extent and variation with time. It is shown that a strong alternating magnetic field of low frequency gives a nearly homogeneous deposit.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Olivas, S. Zahrai and F.H. Bark, J. Appl. Electrochem. 27 (1997) 1369.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Josserand, Thèse Docteur de 1'I.N.P. Grenoble (1994) 84.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Mori, K. Satoh and A. Tanimoto, Electrochim. Acta 39 (1994) 2789.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Mori, M. Kumita, M. Takeuchi and A. Tanimoto, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn. 29 (1996) 229.Google Scholar
- 5.Z.H. Gu and T.Z. Fahidy, J. Electrochem. Soc. 134(9) (1987) 2241.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Olivas, Mémoire de D.E.A. de 1'I.N.P. Grenoble (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Alavyoon, A. Eklund, F.H. Bark, R.I. Karlsson and D. Simonsson, Electrochim. Acta 36(14) (1991) 2153.Google Scholar
- 8.C.F. Wallgren, F.H. Bark and B.-J. Andersson, Electrochim Acta 41(8) (1996) 2909.Google Scholar
- 9.V.G. Levich, 'Physicochemical Hydrodynamics' (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1962) Chapters 2, 6.Google Scholar
- 10.CFX International, 'CFX 4.2 User Guide' (CFX International, Harwell Laboratories, Oxfordshire, OX11 0RA, UK, 1996).Google Scholar
- 11.J.P. Celis, M. De Bonte and J.R. Roos, Trans. I.M.F. 72(2) (1994) 89.Google Scholar