One Physician's Perspective: Euthanasia and Physician-Assisted Suicide
- 374 Downloads
This paper looks at the ambiguities which PAS (physician assisted suicide) and voluntary active euthanasia (VAE ) present to the patient, his or her loved ones and the health-care team. The author pleads for a greater emphasis on humanizing the experience of the dying so that a team can meet their physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Assisted Suicide Laws by State. Accessed May, 2004, from http://www.euthanasia.com/stlaws.html Google Scholar
- Emanuel, E. J., Fairclough, D. L. Clarridge, B. C., Blum D., Bruera, E., Penley, W. C., Schnipper, L. E., and Mayer, R. J., (2000) Attitudes and Practices of U.S. Oncologists Regarding Euthanasia and Physician-Assisted Suicide. Annals of Internal Medicine 133(7), 527–532.Google Scholar
- Hippocratic Oath-Classical Version. Accessed May, 2004, from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ doctors/ oath classical.html.Google Scholar
- Kushner, T. (1984) Having a Life Versus Being Alive. Journal of Medical Ethics 1,5–8.Google Scholar
- Loewy, E. H., and Loewy, R. S. (2003) The Ethics of Terminal Care: Orchestrating the End of Life.New York: Plenum/Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Loewy, E. H., and Loewy, S. R. (2004) Textbook of Health Care Ethics (2nd ed.). New York: Plenum/Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Miller, F. G., and Brody, H. (1995) Professional Integrity and Physician-Assisted Death. Hastings Center Report 25,8–17.Google Scholar
- Pellegrino, E. D., and Thomasma, D. C. (1988) The Restoration of Beneficence in Health Care. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Quill, T. E. (2004) Dying and Decision Making-Evolution of End-of-Life Options. New England Journal of Medicine 350(20), 2029–2032.Google Scholar
- Rachels, J. (1986) The End of Life. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, W. J. Dying Cause-Assisted Suicide is Losing Support.National Review Online. Retrieved May 20, 2003 Available at http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-smith052003.asp.Google Scholar
- Sulmasy, D. P. (1995) Managed Care and Managed Death. Archives of Internal Medicine 155, 133–136.Google Scholar