Genetic relationships between Southern African Solanum retroflexum Dun. and other related species measured by morphological and DNA markers
- 107 Downloads
In this study, the genetic relationship between 14 genotypes of black nightshade, most which were part of the Solanum nigrum complex, was investigated. Fifteen morphological characters were measured and used to compile a dendrogram. Amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers were also used to assess the level of polymorphism between the 14 Solanum genotypes. Three EcoR I/Mse I primer combinations with three selective nucleotides per primer were used for screening the respective genotypes. Multiple polymorphisms could be detected to the extent that all the genotypes studied could be distinguished, using any single primer combination, thus showing the usefulness of AFLP's for this purpose. Up to 43 polymorphic bands were detected with a single primer combination among the 14 different genotypes. The three primer combinations generated a total of 359 bands, of which 222 (62%) were clearly polymorphic. This data was used to compile a dendrogram. Both the morphological and AFLP marker analysis clearly separated the different genotypes into similar groups.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beckmann, J.S. & M. Soller, 1986. Restriction fragment length polymorphism in plant genetic improvement. Oxford Surveys of Plant Molecular and Cell Biology 3: 197-250.Google Scholar
- Edmonds, J.M., 1972. A synopsis of the taxonomy of Solanum Sect. olanum (Maurella) in South America. Kew Bull 27: 95-114.Google Scholar
- Edmonds, J.M. & J.M. Chweya, 1997. Black Nightshades Solanum nigrum L. and Related Species. IPGRI, Rome Italy.Google Scholar
- Edwards, K., C. Johnstone & C. Thompson, 1991. A simple and rapid method for the preparation of plant genomic DNA for PCR analysis. Nucl Acid Res 19: 1349.Google Scholar
- Phillipp, U., P. Wehling & G. Wricke, 1994. A linkage map of rye. TAG 88: 243-248.Google Scholar
- Rao, G.R. and A. Kumar, 1981. Cytology of Solanum nigrum L., S. retroflexum Dun. and their hybrids. Proc Indian Acad Sci (Plant Sci) 90: 227-230.Google Scholar
- Smith, J.S.C. & O.S. Smith, 1988. The description and assessment of distance between inbred lines in maize: I. The use of morphological traits as descriptors. Maydica 34: 141-150.Google Scholar