Phase II Study of Single Agent Paclitaxel in Adult Patients with Relapsed Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia
- 32 Downloads
Background: A phase II study of paclitaxel in patients with relapsed adult acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) was conducted. Methods: Patients with relapsed ALL, no more than one prior salvage regimen, and no overt hepatic, renal, or cardiac dysfunction were eligible. Patients received paclitaxel 250 mg/m2 given as a continuous 24 -h intravenous infusion repeated every 3–4 weeks. Results: Eight patients received 13 courses of paclitaxel. One transient partial response was observed. The only severe extramedullary toxicities observed were Grade 3 myalgias and arthralgias. Conclusion: The study paclitaxel regimen was ineffective in refractory adult ALL.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kantarjian HM, O'Brien S, Smith TL, Cortes J, Giles FJ, Beran M, Pierce S, Huh Y, Andreeff M, Koller C, Ha CS, Keating MJ, Murphy S, Freireich EJ: Results of treatment with hyper-CVAD, a dose-intensive regimen, in adult acute lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 18: 547–561, 2000Google Scholar
- 2.Gangemi RM, Tiso M, Marchetti C, Severi AB, Fabbi M: Taxol cytotoxicity on human leukemia cell lines is a function of their susceptibility to programmed cell death. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 36: 385–392, 1995Google Scholar
- 3.Munker R, Kantarjian H, O'Brien S, Keating M, Andreeff M, Estey EH: Phase I study of taxol in refractory acute myelogenous leukemias using a weekly schedule. Acta Haematol 99: 106–108, 1998Google Scholar
- 4.Rowinsky EK, Burke PJ, Karp JE, Tucker RW, Ettinger DS, Donehower RC: Phase I and pharmacodynamic study of taxol in refractory acute leukemias. Cancer Res 49: 4640–4647, 1989Google Scholar
- 5.Pathan N, Aime-Sempe C, Kitada S, Haldar S, Reed JC: Microtubule-targeting drugs induce Bcl-2 phosphorylation and association with Pin1. Neoplasia 3: 70–79, 2001Google Scholar
- 6.Senderowicz AM: Cyclin-dependent kinase modulators: a novel class of cell cycle regulators for cancer therapy. Cancer Chemother Biol Response Modif 19: 165–188, 2001Google Scholar
- 7.Sausville EA, Arbuck SG, Messmann R, Headlee D, Bauer KS, Lush RM, Murgo A, Figg WD, Lahusen T, Jaken S, Jing X, Roberge M, Fuse E, Kuwabara T, Senderowicz AM: Phase I trial of 72–hour continuous infusion UCN-01 in patients with refractory neoplasms. J Clin Oncol 19: 2319–2333, 2001Google Scholar
- 8.Tolcher AW: Preliminary phase I results of G3139 (bcl-2 antisense oligonucleotide) therapy in combination with docetaxel in hormone-refractory prostate cancer. Semin Oncol 28: 67–70, 2001Google Scholar