Long-Term Safety of Pulsed Irrigation Evacuation (PIE) Use with Chronic Bowel Conditions
- 60 Downloads
We wanted to determine the long-term effects ofpulsed irrigation evacuation on the colon.Sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy was performed on four patientswith spinal cord injuries who have used this procedure an average of 3.5 times weekly, for an averageof 6.7 years. No gross or microscopic abnormalities wereidentified in any of these individuals. Impactions aswell as other complaints were markedly diminished or absent following the initiation of thistherapy. Pulsed irrigation evacuation is a safe andeffective method for long-term treatment of chronicneurogenic bowel.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Madoff RD, Williams JG, Caushaj PF: Fecal incontinence. N Engl J Med 326( 15):1002- 1006, 1992Google Scholar
- 2.Gore R, Mintzer RA, Calenoff L: Gastrointestinal complications of spinal cord injury. Spine 6(6):538 - 544, 1981Google Scholar
- 3.Alessi CA, Henderson CT: Constipation and fecal impaction in the long-term care patient. Clin Ge ri Med 4(3):571- 587, 1988Google Scholar
- 4.Gekas P, Schuster MM: Ste rcoral perforation of the colon: case report and review of the literature. Gastroenterology 80:1054 - 1058, 1981Google Scholar
- 5.Weingardden SI: The gastrointestinal system and spinal cord injury. Phys Med Rehabil Clin North Am 3(4): 765- 781, 1992Google Scholar
- 6.Meisel JL, Be rgman D, Graney D, Saunders DR, Rubin CE: Human re ctal mucosa: Proctoscopic and morphological changes caused by laxative s. Gastroenterology 72( 6):1274 - 1279, 1977Google Scholar
- 7.Goldman H: Other inflammatory disorders of the intestines. InPathology of the Gastrointestinal Tract. S Ming, H Goldman (eds). Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1992, pp 668 - 724Google Scholar
- 8.Chang KJ, Erickson RA, Schandler S, Coye T, Moody C: Per-rectal pulsed irrigation versus per-oral colonic lavage for colonoscopy preparation: a randomized, controlled trial. Gastrointest Endosc 37(4): 444 - 448, 1991Google Scholar
- 9.Pue t TA, Phen L, Hurt DL: Pulsed irrigation enhanced evacuation: New me thod for treating fecal impaction. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 72:935- 936, 1991Google Scholar
- 10.Gilger MA, Wagne r ML, Barrish JO, McCarroll LR, Healy WM: New treatment for re ctal impaction in children: an efficacy, comfort, and safety trial of the pulsed-irrigation enhanced-evacuation procedure. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 18(1):92- 95, 1994Google Scholar
- 11.Kokoszka J, Ne lson R, Falconio M, Abcarian H: Treatment of fecal impaction with pulsed irrigation enhanced evacuation. Dis Colon Rectum 37(2): 161- 164, 1994Google Scholar
- 12.Pue t TA, Jackson H, Amy S: Use of pulsed irrigation evacuation in the management of neuropathic bowel. Spinal Cord 35:694 - 699, 1997Google Scholar