Preparation of barium cerate-based thin films using a modified Pechini process
- 485 Downloads
Thin films of BaCe0.8Gd0.2O3 have been successfully prepared on both dense and porous substrates using a modified Pechini process. To increase the extent of chelation, ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid (EDTA) has been used to replace citric acid in the Pechini process. Results indicate that the most important processing parameter is the molar ratio of complexation/polymerization agent (EDTA) to metal ions (C ratio). Films derived from sols with C ratio smaller than 1 are usually cracked, while those derived from sols with C ratio greater than 2.5 are porous. Crack-free and uniform films are obtained from the sols with C ratios between 1.5 and 2.5. Thin-film membranes of barium cerate electrolytes have also been deposited on porous substrates by modifying the surface of the porous substrate with an intermediate polymer film derived from EDTA and ethylene glycol.
KeywordsCitric Acid Metal Cation Ethylene Diamine Tetraacetic Acid Ethylene Diamine Tetraacetic Acid Porous Substrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.M. P. PECHINI, “Method of preparing lead and alkaline earth titanates and niobates and coating method using the same to form a capacitor”, U.S. Patent 3,330,697 (1967).Google Scholar
- 6.H. U. ANDERSON, M. J. PENNELL and J. P. GUHA, Advances in Ceramics 21 (1987) 91.Google Scholar
- 7.D. J. ANTERTON and F. R. SALE, Powd. Metall . 1 (1979) 14.Google Scholar
- 8.S. KUMAR and G. L. MESSING, in Proceedings of the Materials Research Society Symposium San Francisco, April 1992, edited by M. J. Hampden-Smith, W. G. Klemperer, and C. J. Brinker (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1992) p. 95.Google Scholar
- 9.C. C. CHEN, M. M. NASRALLAH and H. U. ANDERSON, J. Electrochem. Soc. 140 (1993) 355.Google Scholar
- 10.M. LIU and D. S. WANG, J. Mater. Res. 10 (1995) 3210.Google Scholar
- 11.S. L. PESCHLE, M. CIFTICIOGLU, D. H. DOUGHTY and J. A. VOIGHT, in Proceedings of the Materials Research Society Symposium, San Francisco, April 1992, edited by M. J. Hampden-Smith, W. G. Klemperer, and C. J. Brinker (Materials Research Society, Pittsburg, PA, 1992) p. 101.Google Scholar
- 16.VISHAL AGARWAL and MEILIN LIU, J. Electrochem. Soc. accepted.Google Scholar
- 17.M. LIU and D. S. WANG, U.S. Patent disclosure (1994).Google Scholar
- 19.W. RAUCH and M. LIU, “Role of ceramics in advanced electrochemical systems”, edited by P. N. Kumta, G. S. Rohrer and U. Balachandran. Ceramics Transactions, 65 (American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, 1996) p. 73.Google Scholar
- 20.JOHN KOTZ and KEITH PURCELL “Chemistry and chemical reactivity” (Saunders College Publishing, New York, 1987).Google Scholar