The Effects of Molds and Fungi on Young Children's Health: Families' and Educators' Roles in Maintaining Indoor Air Quality
- 131 Downloads
This article identifies the types of common and toxic mold that are found in homes, schools, and child care centers; explains the negative health effects of mold for infants and young children; discusses ways of preventing and controlling mold in homes, schools, and child care centers; and recommends appropriate responses to the international health issue of maintaining indoor air quality.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agnvall, E. (2001). How healthy is your child's school? Family Safety and Health, 60(3), 20–40.Google Scholar
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Environmental Health. (1998, April). Toxic effects of indoor molds. Pediatrics, 101(4), 712–714.Google Scholar
- Editors, Environmental Health Perspectives. (1999). An approach to management of critical indoor air problems in school buildings. Environmental Health Perspectives, 107, 509–514.Google Scholar
- Kendrick, B. (1992). Mycotoxins in food and in feed in the Fifth Kingdom (2nd ed). Waterloo, ON: Mycologue Publications.Google Scholar
- Lebowitz, M. D. (1983). Health effects of indoor pollutants. Annual Review of Public Health, 4, 203–221.Google Scholar
- McNeel, S. V., & Kreutzer, R. A. (1996, May/June). Fungi and indoor air quality. Health and Environment Digest, 10(2), 9–12.Google Scholar
- Miller, J. D. (1992). Fungi as contaminants in indoor air. Atmospheric Environment, 26, 2163–2172.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, T. (1999, December 5). Mold: A health alert. USA Weekend.Google Scholar
- Savilahti, R., et al. (2000). Respiratory morbidity among children following renovation of a water-damaged school. Archives of Environmental Health, 55(6), 405–411.Google Scholar
- Tierno, P. M. (2001). The secret life of germs: Observations and lessons from a microbe hunter. New York: Pocket Books.Google Scholar
- Walsh-Sarnecki, P. (2001, September 1). Schools knew of mold problem. Detroit Free Press, p. 3A.Google Scholar