Racism: What It Is and What It Isn't
The words `racist' and `racism' have become so overused that they nowconstitute obstacles to understanding and interracial dialogue aboutracial matters. Instead of the current practice of referring tovirtually anything that goes wrong or amiss with respect to race as`racism,' we should recognize a much broader moral vocabulary forcharacterizing racial ills – racial insensitivity, racial ignorance,racial injustice, racial discomfort, racial exclusion. At the sametime, we should fix on a definition of `racism' that is continuouswith its historical usage, and avoids conceptual inflation. Isuggest two basic, and distinct, forms of racism that meet thiscondition – antipathy racism and inferiorizing racism. We should alsorecognize that not all racially objectionable actions are done froma racist motive, and that not all racial stereotypes are racist.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Black, White Officers Cited in Noose Incident, Boston Globe, April 29, 1999, B1.Google Scholar
- Blum, L. (2002). I'm not a racist, but...: The moral quandary of race. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Margalit, A. (1996). The decent society. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Miles, R. (1989). Racism. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Morrow, L. (1994). Time, b[12/5/94] cited in Extra!, vol. 9, #2, March/April 1996.Google Scholar
- Nuechterlein, J., in First things, August–September, 1996, from Chronicle of Higher Education, September 6.Google Scholar
- Schofield, J.W. (1989). Black and white in school: Trust, tension, or tolerance? New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Schuman, H., Steeh, C., Bobo, L. & Krysan, M. (1997). Racial attitudes in America: Trends and interpretation, revised edn. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Shipler, D.K. (1997). A country of strangers: Blacks and whites in America.NewYork: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Stephan, W. (1999). Reducing prejudice and stereotyping in schools. New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Tizon, A., Whale killing uncovers anti-Indian hatred, Boston Globe, May 30, 1999.Google Scholar
- Weinraub, B., Stung by criticism of fall shows, TV Networks add minority roles, New York Times, 1999.Google Scholar