Biochemical differentiation of two groups within the species-complex Henricia Gray, 1840 (Echinodermata, Asteroidea) using starch-gel electrophoresis
- 93 Downloads
Eighteen specimens from the Henricia pertusa group and 12 from the H. perforata group were examined for biochemical differences at the glucose-1-phosphate isomerase (GPI* locus). Six alleles were found. Neither group showed deviations from Hardy Weinberg equilibrium (HW) (H. pertusa group: P∼1, H. perforata group: P=0.07, confidence interval=0.066–0.076). Significant differences in allele frequencies between the two groups (P∼0), supported previous assertions of reproductive isolation between the two groups based on morphological differences. However, near significance in HW disequilibrium in the H. perforata group indicates possible substructure in this group.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allendorf, F.W., N. Mitchell, N. Ryman & G. Ståhl, 1977. Isozyme loci in brown trout (Salmo trutta L.): Detection and interpretation from population data. Hereditas 86: 179–190.Google Scholar
- Bell, F. J., 1892. Catalogue of the British Echinoderms in the British Museum (Natural History). London: 202 pp.Google Scholar
- Clark, A. M. & M. E. Downey, 1992. Starfishes of the Atlantic. Chapman & Hall, London: 794 pp.Google Scholar
- Djakonov, A. M., 1968. Sea Stars (Asteroids) of the USSR Seas. Israel Program of Scientific Translations No. 1922. Jerusalem (A translation on Djakonov 1950): 183 pp.Google Scholar
- Fisher, W. K., 1911. Asteroidea of the North Pacific and adjacent waters. Bull. U. S. natn. Mus. 76: 266–271.Google Scholar
- Høisæter, T., 1990. An annotated check-list of the echinoderms of the Norwegian coast and adjacent waters. Sarsia 75: 83–106.Google Scholar
- Köhler, R., 1896. Les Echinodermes des Mers d'Europe. Librairie Octave Doin, Paris.Google Scholar
- Kwast, K. E., D. W. Foltz & W. B. Stickle, 1990. Population genetics and systematics of the Leptasterias hexatis (Echinodermata: Asteroidea) species complex. Mar. Biol. 105: 477–489.Google Scholar
- Madsen, F. J., 1987. The Henricia sanguinolenta complex (Echinodermata, Asteroidea) of the Norwegian Sea and adjacent waters. A re-evaluation, with notes on related species. Steenstrupia 13: 201–268.Google Scholar
- Mortensen, T. H., 1927. Handbook of the Echinoderms of the British Isles. Oxford University Press, London: 471 pp.Google Scholar
- Shaklee, J. B., F. W. Allendorf, D. C. Morizot & G. S. Whitt, 1990. Gene Nomenclature for Protein-Coding loci in Fish. Trans. am. Fish. Soc. 119: 2–15.Google Scholar
- Zaykin, D. V. & A. I. Pudovkin, 1993. Two programs to estimate significance and X2-values using pseudo-probability tests. J. Hered. 84: 152 pp.Google Scholar