Predicting a Future Median Life through a Power Transformation
- 42 Downloads
A simple and unified prediction interval (PI) for the median of a future lifetime can be obtained through a power transformation. This interval usually possesses the correct coverage, at least asymptotically, when the transformation is known. However, when the transformation is unknown and is estimated from the data, a correction is required. A simple correction factor is derived based on large sample theory. Simulation shows that the unified PI after correction performs well. When compared with the existing frequentist PI's, it shows an equivalent or a better performance in terms of coverage probability and average length of the interval. Its nonparametric aspect and the ease of usage make it very attractive to practitioners. Real data examples are provided for illustration.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. E. P. Box and D. R. Cox, “An analysis of transformation (with discussion),” J. R. Statist. Soc. B vol. 26 pp. 211-252, 1964.Google Scholar
- R. J. Carroll and D. Ruppert, “On prediction and the power transformation family,” Biometrika vol. 68 pp. 609-615, 1981.Google Scholar
- R. S. Chhikara and J. L. Folks, The Inverse Gaussian Distribution. Theory, Methodology, and Applications, Marcel Dekker, Inc.: New York and Basel, 1989.Google Scholar
- G. J. Hahn and W. Q. Meeker, Statistical Intervals, A Guide for Practitioners, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1991.Google Scholar
- J. F. Lawless, Statistical Models and Methods for Lifetime Data, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1982.Google Scholar
- W. Nelson, Applied Life Data Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1982.Google Scholar
- J. M. G. Taylor, “Power transformation to symmetry,” Biometrika vol. 72 pp. 145-152, 1985.Google Scholar
- Z. Yang, “Some asymptotic results for the Box-Cox transformation methodology,” Commun. Statist.-Theory Meth. vol. 25 pp. 403-414, 1996.Google Scholar
- Z. Yang, “Estimating a transformation and its effect on Box-Cox T-ratio,” Test vol. 8 pp. 167-190, 1999a.Google Scholar
- Z. Yang, “Predicting a future life time through Box-Cox transformation,” Lifetime Data Analysis vol. 5 pp. 265-279, 1999b.Google Scholar