Phase Modification of Ammonium Nitrate by Potassium Salts
- 150 Downloads
Modification of the room temperature phase (IV-III) of ammonium nitrate (AN) has been attempted using a variety of potassium salts namely, KF, KCl, KI, KNO3, K2CO3, K2SO4, KSCN and K2Cr2O7. No phase transition was observed when AN containing 1–2% by mass of these potassium salts is heated from room temperature (25°C) onwards in DTA and DSC scans, but the linear expansion due to phase transition was still observable in TMA measurements. Complete arrest of the linear expansion occurs only when a higher concentration of the additive is used. Similarly, in thermal cycling experiments, complete phase modification in the temperature range -80 to 100°C occurs only with a higher percentage of the potassium salt. The extent of modification, however, is found to be dependent both on the concentration, and the type of the anion. Potassium dichromate when used as an additive modifies the phase as well as the decomposition pattern of AN.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.A. N. Campbell and A. J. R. Campbell, Canadian J. Research, 24B (1946) 93.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Q. Brewster and T. A. Sheridan, Final report, submitted to Thiocol Corporation, July 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.W. Engel and K. Menke, Defence Science Journal, 46 (1996) 311.Google Scholar
- 14.C. N. R. Rao, B. Prakash and M. Natrajan, Crystal structure transformation in Inorganic nitrites, nitrates and carbonates, National Bureau of Standards, NSRDS-NNS53, May 1975.Google Scholar
- 16.W. Engel, N. Eisenreich and A. Deimling, Proceedings of the 24th An. Conf. of ICT, 1993, p. 3.Google Scholar
- 17.I. B. Mishra, US patent, 4552, 736 (1986).Google Scholar
- 18.A. K. Mehrotra and M. I. Lee, US patent 5098683, CA, 117, 72668, (1992).Google Scholar
- 19.W. Engel, Report (1989), CA, 113, (1990) 214884.Google Scholar
- 21.Powder Diffraction File, compiled by JCPDS, International Center for diffraction data, Philadelphia, PA, USA (1990).Google Scholar
- 23.J. Morand, Ann. Chim. (France), 10 (1955) 1018.Google Scholar