Major and 5S Ribosomal Sequences of the Largemouth Bass Micropterus Salmoides (Perciformes, Centrarchidae) are Localized in GC-Rich Regions of the Genome
- 117 Downloads
Major and 5S ribosomal genes have been localized in the chromosomes of Micropterus salmoides. By C-banding, Ag-staining, CMA3-staining and 45S and 5S fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH), we demonstrate that the 45S and 5S ribosomal genes are clustered in two different chromosome pairs and both are located in heterochromatic GC-rich regions. PCR amplification and sequencing of the 5S intergenic non-transcribed sequences have allowed us to identify variability essentially due to a trinucleotide tandem repeat (GCT).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Almeida-Toledo LF (1996) Molecular and immunocytogenetics of Brazilian fishes. Ciéncia Cultura J Brazilian Assoc Adv Sci 48(5/6): 377–382.Google Scholar
- Amemiya T, Gold JR (1990) Cytogenetic studies in North American minnows (Ciprinidae). XVII. Chromosomal NOR phenotypes of 12 species, with comments on cytosistematic relationships among 50 species. Hereditas 112: 231–247.Google Scholar
- Cau A, Salvadori S, Deiana AM, Bella JL, Mezzanotte R (1988) The characterization of Muraena helena mitotic chromosomes: Karyotype, C-banding, nucleolar organizer regions and in situ digestion with restriction endonucleases. Cytogenet Cell Genet 47: 223–226.Google Scholar
- Cau A, Coluccia E, Deiana AM et al. (1992) Chromosomes and DNA of Anguilla anguilla L.: a study with restriction endonucleases. Genome 35: 838–843.Google Scholar
- Cucchi C, Mariotti A (1976) II cariotipo dei Centrarchidi (Teleostei). Ann Univ Ferrara 3 (21): 233–239.Google Scholar
- Jenkin JD, Li YC, Gold JR (1992) Cytogenetic studies in North American minnows (Ciprinidae). XXVI. Chromosomal NOR phenotypes of 21 species from the western United States. Cytologia 57: 443–453.Google Scholar
- Klinkhardt M, Tesche M, Greven H (1995) Database of Fish Chromosomes. Magdeburg: Westarp Wissenschaften.Google Scholar
- Pendás AM Morán P, Freije JP, García-Vázquez E (1994) Chromosome mapping and nucleotide sequence of two tandem repeats of Atlantic salmon 5S rDNA. Cytogenet Cell Genet 63: 31–36.Google Scholar
- Sumner AT (1990) Genome organization in the light of chromosome banding. In: Sumner AT, ed. Chromosome Banding. London: Unwin Hyman, pp. 336–348.Google Scholar