An Analysis Of Obsolescence Risk In IT Systems
- 113 Downloads
The paper is concerned with technological and functional obsolescence in the context of common computing applications and from a user persective. Both forms of obsolescence are defined and the effects on software and hardware are discussed, together with the consequence for cost of ownership of IT systems. Supporting data is provided from a number of industrial surveys of commercial off-the-shelf software.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Gutgeld and D. Beter. Are you going out of fashion?, The McKinsey Quarterly, 3 (1995), 55–65.Google Scholar
- 2.M.B. Vandenbosch and B.R. Nault. Eating your own lunch: protection through preemption, Organisation Science, 7, (1996), 342–357.Google Scholar
- 3.M.C. Neff and W.L. Shanklin. Creative destruction as a market strategy, Research Technology Management, 40, (1997), 33–40.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Coredero. Managing for speed to avoid product obsolescence: a survey of techniques, Journal Of Product Innovation, 8, (1991), 283–294.Google Scholar
- 5.R.B. Handfield and R.T. Pannesi. Managing component life cycles in dynamic technological environments, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 30(2), (1994), 19–27.Google Scholar
- 6.Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary, W & R Chambers Ltd, Edinburgh, 1961.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Green. Using Total Cost of Ownership Techniques to Determine Hardware and Software Replacement Strategies at Rolls-Royce and Associates Limited, MSc Dissertation, 1997, 195–210.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Bradley and R.J. Dawson. Reducing the cost of IT ownership using feedback from the IT Helpdesk in Proceedings of the Software Quality Management Conference, Bath, March 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Intel web page http://www.intel.com/pressroom/quickref.htmGoogle Scholar
- 10.R.S. Pressman. Software Engineering, A Practitioners Approach (McGraw-Hill, London, 1994).Google Scholar
- 11.J.E. Sillitoe. ‘WordPerfect versus Word’, Internal RRA memo JES/CTO, 23 January 1997.Google Scholar