Hypolipidemic effect of flavonoids from Solanum melongena
- 476 Downloads
Flavonoids extracted from the fruits of Solanum melongena (Brinjal) orally administered at a dose of 1 mg/100 g BW/day showed significant hypolipidemic action in normal and cholesterol fed rats. HMG CoA reductase activity was found to be enhanced, while activities of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and malate dehydrogenase were significantly reduced. Activities of lipoprotein lipase and plasma LCAT showed significant enhancement. A significant increase in the concentrations of hepatic and fecal bile acids and fecal neutral sterols was also observed indicating a higher rate of degradation of cholesterol.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahmad F, Khan MM, Rastogi AK, Chaubey M, Kidwai JR (1991) Effect of (—)epicatechin on cAMP content, insulin release and conversion of proinsulin to insulin in immature and mature rat islets in vitro. Ind J Exp Biol 29: 516-520.Google Scholar
- 2.Linn BB, Chen H, Huang PC (1986) Effect of instant panchong tea, catechin and caffeine on serum cholesterol and serum low density lipoprotein in mice. Nutr Rep Int 34: 821- 829.Google Scholar
- 5.Middleton Jr E., Kandaswami C (1994) Potential health promoting properties of citrus flavonoids. Food Technology 48: 115-119.Google Scholar
- 7.Sharma RD (1984) Hypocholesterolemic effect of hydroxy acid components of Bengal gram. Nutr Rep Int 29: 1315-1322.Google Scholar
- 8.Rizvi SI, Zaid AM, Suhad M (1995) Insulin mimetic effect of (—)epicatechin on osmotic fragility of human erythrocytes. Ind J Exp Biol 33: 791-792.Google Scholar
- 9.Ikeda I, Imasato Y, Sasaki E, Nakayama M, Nagao H, Takeo T, Yayabe F, Sugano M (1992) Tea catechins decrease micellar solubility and intestinal absorption of cholesterol in rats. Biochim Biophys Acta 1127: 141-146.Google Scholar
- 10.Sudheesh S (1996) Studies on the effect of pectins and condensed tannins on metabolism. PhD thesis, University of Kerala, India.Google Scholar
- 12.Singleton VL, Rossi JA (1965) Calorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdicphosphotungstic acid regent. Am J Enol Vitic 16: 144-158.Google Scholar
- 17.Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.Google Scholar
- 18.Bennet CA, Franklin NL (1967) Statistical analysis in chemistry and chemical industry, pp 133-138. New York: John Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- 19.Patsy MN, Barbara OS, Richard AF (1991) Effect of dietary fibers on nonfasting plasma lipoprotein and apolipoprotein levels in rats. J Nutr 121: 431-437.Google Scholar
- 20.Valsa AK, Usha Kumari B, Vijayalakshmi NR (1995) Effect of catechin on lipid metabolism. J Clin Biochem Nutr 19: 175-182.Google Scholar