Organ transplantation in Italy: Analysis of donors and recipients
- 38 Downloads
The Istituto Superiore di Sanità (The Italian National Institute of Health) has been collecting information regarding organ donation and transplantation in Italy. Herein we describe organ procurement and transplant activity in Italy in the years 1992–1997 and show some of the characteristics regarding both donors and transplanted patients who received kidneys, hearts, livers and lungs. Although transplantation in Italy has been very difficult because of shortage of organ donors, national rates have been improving year after year. The present situation should ameliorate further to enable Italy to reach the same level of other advanced European countries.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Quintieri F, Macellari V. Transplantation in Italy. J Transplant Coordination 1996; 6: 163–166.Google Scholar
- 2.Quintieri F, Pugliese O, Chistolini P. Analysis of organ donation in Italy. J Transplant Coordination 1998; 8(3): 188–190.Google Scholar
- 3.Council of Europe. International figures on organ donation and transplantation — 1997. Newsletter Transplant 1998; 3(1): 1–11.Google Scholar
- 4.Opelz G. Transfusions and cadaver kidney transplants: The CTS data. Clin Transpl 1987; 2: 239–242.Google Scholar
- 5.Miranda B, Fernandez Lucas M, Matesanz R. The potential organ donor pool: International figures. Transpl Proc 1997; 29: 1604–1606.Google Scholar
- 6.Terasaki PI, Cecka JM, Gjertson DW, Takemoto S. High survival rates of kidney transplants from spousal and living unrelated donors. N Engl J Med 1995; 333(6): 333–336.Google Scholar
- 7.Quintieri F, Pugliese O. Organ donation and transplantation activity in Italy. Organs and Tissues 1998; 1: 21–23.Google Scholar
- 8.Lopez-Navidad, Domingo P, Viedma MA. Professional characteristics of the transplant coordinator. Transpl Proc 1997; 29: 1607–1613.Google Scholar
- 9.Nanni Costa A, Ridolfi L, Petrini L, et al. (eds). Manuale del I corso nazionale per coordinatori alla donazione e prelievo di organi. Bologna: Editrice Compositori, 1997.Google Scholar