a study of the temporal variability of atrazine in private well water. part ii: analysis of data
- 37 Downloads
In 1988, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, along withthe University of Iowa, conducted the Statewide Rural WellWater Survey, commonly known as SWRL. A total of 686private rural drinking water wells was selected by use of aprobability sample and tested for pesticides and nitrate. A subsetof these wells, the 10% repeat wells, were additionally sampledin October, 1990 and June, 1991. Starting in November, 1991,the University of Iowa, with sponsorship from the United StatesEnvironmental Protection Agency, revisited the 10% repeat wellsto begin a study of the temporal variability of atrazine and nitratein wells. Other wells, which had originally tested positive foratrazine in SWRL but were not in the 10% population, wereadded to the study population. Temporal sampling for a year-long period began in February of 1992 and concluded in Januaryof 1993. All wells were sampled monthly, a subset was sampledweekly, and a second subset was sampled for 14 day consecutiveperiods. Of the 67 wells in the 10% population tested monthly,7 (10.4%) tested positive for atrazine at least once during theyear, and 3 (4%) were positive each of the 12 months. Theaverage concentration in the 7 wells was 0.10 µg/L. Fornitrate, 15 (22%) wells in the 10% repeat population monthlysampling were above the Maximum Contaminant Level of 10 mg/L at least once. This paper, the second of two papers on thisstudy, describes the analysis of data from the survey. The firstpaper (Lorber et al., 1997) reviews the study design, theanalytical methodologies, and development of the data base.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Federal Register: 1994, ‘Atrazine, Simazine and Cyanazine; Notice of Initiation of Special Review’, Federal Register, Volume 59,No. 225, Wednesday, November 23, 1994, pp. 60412–60443.Google Scholar
- Hallberg, G. R., Kross, B. C., Libra, R. D., Burmeister, L. F., Weih, L. M. B., Lynch, C. F., Bruner, D. R., Lewis, M. Q., Cherryholmes, K. L., Johnson, J. K. and Culp, M. A.: 1990, ‘The Iowa state-wide rural well-water survey: Design report: A systematic sample of domestic drinking water quality’, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Technical Information Series 17.Google Scholar
- Kross, B. C., Hallberg, G. R., Bruner, R. D., Libra, R. D., Rex, K. D., Weih, L. M. B., Vermace, M. E., Burmeister, L. F., Hall, N. H., Cherryholmes, K. L., Johnson, J. K., Selim, M. I., Nations, B. K., Seigley, L. S., Quade, D. J., Dudler, A. G., Sesker, K. D., Culp, M. A., Lynch, C. F., Nicholson, H. F. and Hughes, J. P.: 1990, ‘The Iowa state-wide rural well-water survey water quality data: Initial analysis’, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Technical Information Series 19.Google Scholar
- Kross, B. C., Ayebo, A. D. and Fuortes, L. J.: 1992, ‘Methemoglobinemia: Nitrate toxicity in rural America’, American Family Physician 46, 183–188.Google Scholar
- Kross, B. C., Olson, M. L., Ayebo, A. and Johnson, J. K.: 1995, Humans, in Soil Amendments: Impacts on Biotic Systems, Rechcigl, J., (ed.), Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, 153.Google Scholar
- Libra, R. D., Hallberg, G. R., Rex, K. D., Kross, B. C., Seigley, L. S., Culp, M. A., Field, R. W., Quade, D. J., Selim, M., Nations, B. K., Hall, N. H., Etre, L. A., Johnson, J. K., Nicholson, H. F., Berberich, S. L. and Cherryholmes, K. L.: 1993, ‘The Iowa state-wide rural well-water survey: June 1991’, Repeat Sampling of the 10% Subset Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Technical Information Series 26.Google Scholar
- Lindscy, J.: 1993, Models for Repeated Measurements, Clarendon Press, Oxford U.K.Google Scholar
- Lorber, M., Johnson, K., Pinsky, P., Kross, B., Burmeister, L., Wilkins, A. and Hallberg, G.: 1997, ‘A Study of the Temporal Variability of Atrazine in Private Well Water. Part I: Study Design, Implementation, and Database Development’, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 47, 175–195.Google Scholar
- Rex, K. D., Libra, R. D., Hallberg, G. R., Kross, B. C., Field, R. W., Etre, L. A., Seigley, L. S., Culp, M. A., Nations, B. K., Quade, D. J., Johnson, J. K., Nicholson, H. F., Cherryholmes, K. L. and Hall, N. H.: 1993, ‘The Iowa state-wide rural well-water survey: October 1990’, Repeat Sampling of the 10% Subset: Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Technical Information Series 25.Google Scholar
- SAS Institute: 1993, SAS Technical Report P-229, Cary, NC.Google Scholar
- Scribner, E. A., Goolsby, D. A., Thurman, M. E., Meyer, M. T. and Pomes, M. L.: 1994, ‘Concentrations of Selected Herbicides, Two Triazine Metabolites, and Nutrients in Storm Runoff from Nine Stream Basins in the Midwestern United States, 1990–1992’, U.S. Geological Survey, Open-File Report 94-396.Google Scholar
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): 1989, ‘Exposure Factors Handbook’, EPA/600/889/043, Office of Research and Development, Office of Health and Environmental Assessment, Exposure Assessment Group, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar