A Population Analysis of the Structure and Variability of NOR in Salmo Trutta by Ag, CMA3 and ISH
- 69 Downloads
An analysis of the variation in the number and location of rDNA genes has been carried out in two populations of brown trout (Salmo trutta) from Poland by using Ag and CMA3-staining, and rDNA in situ hybridisation. We observed an interindividual variation in arm number with NF = 100, 101, and 102. This variation was connected with the size polymorphism of the short (NOR-bearing) arm of the chromosome pair 11. The population studied showed a multichromosomal distribution of active NORs. Atypical Ag-NORs consisted of rDNA genes, as evidenced by rDNA-ISH. In addition to individuals with standard NORs, specimens with extra NORs as well as others with only one active NOR and single interphase nucleolus were observed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allendorf, F.W. & G.H. Thorgaard, 1984. Tetraploidy and the evolution of salmonid fishes, pp. 1–54 in Evolutionary Genetics of Fishes, edited by B.J. Turner. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Jankun, M., A. Boron, L. Kirtiklis, A. Kirchhoffer & M. Luczynski, 1998. Cytogenetic and biochemical studies on European white-fish (Coregonus lavaretus L.) from Switzerland, in Biology and Management of Coregonid Fishes, edited by R. Eckmann, A. Appenzeller & R. Rosch. Arch. Hybrobiol. Spec. Issues Adv. Limnol. 50: 363–369.Google Scholar
- Martinez, P., A. Vinas, C. Bouza, J. Arias, R. Amaro & L. Sanchez, 1991. Cytogenetical characterization of hatchery stocks and natural populations of Sea and Brown Trout from Northwestern Spain. Heredity 66: 9–17.Google Scholar
- Sola, L., A.R. Rossi, V. Iaselli, E.M. Rasch & P.J. Monaco, 1992. Cytogenetics of bisexual/unisexual species of Poecilia. II. Analysis of heterochromatin and nucleolar organizer regions in Poecilia mexicana maxicana by C-banding and DAPI, quinacrine, chromomycin A3, and silver staining. Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 60: 229–235.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Woznicki, P., M. Jankun & M. Luczynski, 1997. Chromosome studies in brown trout (Salmo trutta m. fario) from Poland: hypothetical evolution of the 11th, 12th and 14th chromosome pairs in Salmo karyotype. Cytobios 91: 207–214.Google Scholar
- Woznicki, P., M. Jankun & M. Luczynski, 1998. Chromosome polymorphism in Salmo trutta morpha lacustris from Poland, Wdzydze Lake population: variation in the short arm length of the eleventh chromosome. Aquatic Sci. 60: 367–375.Google Scholar