Inheritance of Yellow Vein Mosaic Virus (YVMV) tolerance in a cultivar of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench)
- 722 Downloads
An okra variety, IPSA Okra 1, tolerant to Yellow Vein Mosaic Virus (YVMV) was crossed to 3 susceptible genotypes viz. Parbhani Kranti, SL-44 and SL-46 to determine the nature of inheritance of tolerance of IPSA Okra 1. Grafting test was also done to know the nature of tolerance. It was revealed from the results of grafting test that the tolerance in IPSA Okra 1 is genetic, not due to escape. The F1 hybrids were tolerant to YVMV. From the segregation pattern for disease reaction in F2 and BC1 generations of the 3 crosses, it could be hypothesized that the tolerance to YVMV in IPSA Okra 1 is quantitative, with possibly two major factors, and dependent on gene dosage with incompletely dominant gene action.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fraser, R.S.S., 1990. Disease resistance mechanisms. In: C.L. Mandahar (Ed.), Plant Viruses, II. pp. 321–345. CRC Press, Inc., Florida.Google Scholar
- Nariani, T.K. & M.L. Seth, 1958. Reaction of Abelmoschus and Hibiscus species to yellow vein mosaic virus. Indian Phytopath 11: 137–140.Google Scholar
- Nerkar, Y.S. & N.D. Jambhale, 1985. Transfer of resistance to yellow vein mosaic from related species into okra (Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench). Indian J Genet 45(2): 261–270.Google Scholar
- Purseglove, J.W., 1987. Tropical Crops Dicotyledons. Longman Singapore Publishers (Ptv) Ltd.Google Scholar
- Salehuzzaman, M., 1985. Screening of world germplasm of okra (A. esculentus (L.) Moench) for resistance to Yellow Vein Mosaic Virus (YVMV). Bangladesh J Agric 10(4): 1–8.Google Scholar
- Sastry, K.S.M. & S.J. Singh, 1974. Effect of yellow vein mosaic virus infection on growth and yield of okra crop. Indian Phytopath 27: 294–297.Google Scholar
- Sharma, B.R. & T.S. Dhillon, 1983. Genetics of resistance to yellow vein mosaic virus in interspecific crosses of okra. Genetica Agraria, 37(3/4): 267–275. Cited from Plant Breed Abstr, 1984, 54(4–5), Abstr No. 4014, p. 390.Google Scholar
- Sharma, B.R. & D.P. Sharma, 1984. Breeding for resistance to yellow vein mosaic virus in okra. Indian J Agric Sci 54(10): 917–920.Google Scholar
- Singh, M. & M.R. Thakur, 1979. Nature of resistance to yellow vein mosaic virus in Abelmoschus manihot ssp. manihot. Current Sci 48(4): 164–165.Google Scholar
- Singh, H.B., B.S. Joshi, P.P. Khanna & P.S. Gupta, 1962. Breeding for field resistance to yellow vein mosaic in bhindi. Indian J Genet 22(2): 137–144.Google Scholar
- Thakur, M.R., 1976. Inheritance of resistance to Yellow Vein Mosaic (YVM) in a cross of okra species, Abelmoschus esculentus × A. manihot ssp. manihot. SABRAO J 8(1): 69–73.Google Scholar