Giant Nonlinear Absorption by an Ensemble of Metallic Grains
- 41 Downloads
We have investigated the nonlinear low-frequency microwave absorption of an ensemble of small metallic grains. Earlier Zhou et al. [Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 1958 (1996)] have proved that linear absorption by such a system is due to a mesoscopic relaxation mechanism for which important contribution is from the grains with small level spacings between the ground state and the first excited state. Here we have shown further that such grains are anomalously sensitive to the field amplitude and the distribution of level spacings. Since such a behavior depends on external magnetic field, we expect the appearance of a giant nonlinear magnetoresistance, as well as a very strong temperature dependence of the nonlinear microwave conductivity.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Microwave Excited State External Magnetic Field Field Amplitude
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. P. Gorkov and G. M. Eliashberg, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 48, 1407 (1965) [Sov. Phys. JETP 21, 940 (1965)]Google Scholar
- 2.B. I. Shklovskii, Pisma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 36, 287 (1982) [JETP Lett. 36, 352 (1982)].Google Scholar
- 3.J. Perenboom, P. Wyder, and F. Meier, Phys. Rep. 78, 137 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.G. Carr, S. Percowitz, and N. Tanner, in Far Infrared Properties of Inhomogeneous Materials, Vol. 15, K. Button, ed. (Academic, Orlando, 1984).Google Scholar
- 5.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Fluid Mechanics (Pergamon, Oxford, 1977).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Pollak and T. H. Geballe, Phys. Rev. 122, 1742 (1961).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Zhou, B. Spivak, N. Taniguchi, and B. L. Altshuler, Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 1958 (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.M. L. Mehta, Random Matrices (Academic, New York, 1991).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Reizer and A. Sergeev, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 90, 1056 (1986) [Sov. Phys. JETP 63, 616 (1986)].Google Scholar
- 10.B. Spivak, F. Zhou, and Z. Beal-Monod, Phys. Rev. B 51, 13 2226 (1995).Google Scholar
- 11.Yu. M. Galperin, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 84, 1386 (1983) [Sov. Phys. JETP 58, 1023 (1983)].Google Scholar